Cervélo 2014 - Rumours / Details?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stanseven

by stanseven

VeloNews reports the new R5 weighs 808 grams. That's a lot for a $5000 frame. But if it was cheaper or weighed less, no one would buy the $10K Rca.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

The aero profiling is pretty significant though, they show the RCA having almost 100 grams less at 0 yaw than even the Trek KVF design of the Madone. Not sure how good Scott's shaping is, but even their Foil wasn't all that good in the tunnel

uraqt

by uraqt

Don't think this came up, new fork creates more trail. It's going to effect the ride for sure. Also different chain stays.

C

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

The trail will only change if the rake / offset of the fork has changed - not just because it's a different shape. Since any change in rake / offset is only likely to be 2mm at most (43mm to 45mm) it's impossible to tell from the pics seen so far.

uraqt

by uraqt

@BikeTart

Right, thanks forgot about that, it's new school : )

C

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

It does look like there is a new fork on the R5 though - this graphic was posted on the Cervélo forum, and it seems the listings quote a '35' version of the Cervélo fork (current R3 runs a '30', and the R3 Dark / current R5 and RCa run a '33'):

FourRings

by FourRings

Just curious, how many riders of the current '12/13 generation of R5s are considering a switch to the new '14 R5?

Personnaly, while the changes are appealing, I'm not sure that they're significant enough to get me to switch. What are your thoughts?

Along the same lines, assuming that '12/13 R5 framesets will be available at discounted prices for a while, for those considering an R5, would you pay full price for the new version or pay considerably(?) less for the old one?

metanoize

by metanoize

@FourRings I was considering the R5, but was hoping for a weight of no more 750g for size 51. I'll have to wait for the R5 2015, even then I'll wait for the end of the year sales. The msrp is too damn high!

uraqt

by uraqt

Not so sure that there are that many 2012 or VWD frames left out there. Slane is out and R&A only has the limited ed.

However I kinda agree with your point, with only limited weight saving kinda hard to upgrade. I have a VWD and if the new fork is better, that should have a big impact on the ride, I feel that the VWD fork forces all the road shocks right to your hands, and at 60mph it is a handful, after 6 or 7 hours on the bike.

C

em3

by em3

metanoize wrote:@FourRings I was considering the R5, but was hoping for a weight of no more 750g for size 51. I'll have to wait for the R5 2015, even then I'll wait for the end of the year sales. The msrp is too damn high!

If you want a sub 750 gram 51cm frame then the 2012 VWD and 2013 R5 are your ticket...plenty of threads on this forum display weights in the sub 750 gms range for that size frame. My 2013 in 54cm weighted in at 760 gms.
EM3

Permon

by Permon

uraqt wrote:
However I kinda agree with your point, with only limited weight saving kinda hard to upgrade. I have a VWD and if the new fork is better, that should have a big impact on the ride, I feel that the VWD fork forces all the road shocks right to your hands, and at 60mph it is a handful, after 6 or 7 hours on the bike.

C

Exactly my thoughts......what about buying a new fork and using it with 2012/2013 R5VWD?
I think it could work somehow and bring better comfort and handling.
I am still curious, why the R5 2014 has this new fork and RCA uses the old one.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

The RCa fork has the special coating on the steerer - the new 35 fork doesn't (it's too expensive to trickle down to the non-RCa framesets).

uniQuk

by uniQuk

FourRings wrote:Just curious, how many riders of the current '12/13 generation of R5s are considering a switch to the new '14 R5?

I won't be switching, but I'm planning on picking up a '14 R3 as a winter/commuting/racing bike.

Permon

by Permon

BikeTart wrote:The RCa fork has the special coating on the steerer - the new 35 fork doesn't (it's too expensive to trickle down to the non-RCa framesets).

The nano coating can be done on ANY steerer fork, so Cervelo can do it to a FK35.
I am just curious to see new fork on R5 while RCA has the "old" design.
It looks more like R5 fork design will trickle down to RCA soon :mrgreen:
Last edited by Permon on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

It can be done to any fork, but it won't be done to anything other than the FK33 for the RCa - I read as much somewhere too (possibly BikeRadar?).

Whether or not they'll change to the FK35 on the RCa remains to be seen - there's very few details out there about the new fork at the moment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com