Cervélo 2014 - Rumours / Details?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

So maybe an S model with proper tire clearance?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickl

by nickl

Di2 routing for the R series... nah, I'm dreaming.

More realistically they'll probably do an SCA - the S5 only slightly lighter, slightly less ugly and 4 times the price.

Cervelo: the only company that charges its pro-team so much for their frames that they have to run Ultegra.

(This comment is mostly tongue-in-cheek. Though the reason I haven't bought a R3/R5 is the lack of Di2 internal routing)

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Perhaps they'll produce a frame that doesn't crack within a year or two of use??

Permon

by Permon

nickl wrote:Di2 routing for the R series... nah, I'm dreaming.

More realistically they'll probably do an SCA - the S5 only slightly lighter, slightly less ugly and 4 times the price.

Cervelo: the only company that charges its pro-team so much for their frames that they have to run Ultegra.

(This comment is mostly tongue-in-cheek. Though the reason I haven't bought a R3/R5 is the lack of Di2 internal routing)

The R5 is so light, that it needs some really really porky groupset to meet UCI weight limit :up: Here ULTEGRA goes! :-)
My R5 without any lighweight parts is 6,42kg (standard Record groupset, Hyperon wheels) I would have to add +400grams to make the machine UCI legal....so it is quite easy to use super porky groupset instead of adding some lead :smartass: :wink:

euan

by euan

Its well known Slipstream buy their own groupsets

ultyguy

by ultyguy

GonaSovereign wrote:From the little I've heard around here, you guys should be focusing on the letter S instead of R. Or maybe in addition to.

Yeah, I smell a BBright sort of S2 facelift, it's getting kinda long in the tooth.

nickl

by nickl

euan wrote:Its well known Slipstream buy their own groupsets

Yes. Hence the comment about them having to pay for the frame, too. :wink:

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

They pay for the grouipsets because Shimano stipulate full group for sponsorship.

Cervelo pay them to use their kit not the other way round.

Permon

by Permon

Hm..... :unbelievable:
So, the 2014 R3 is 2013 R5! WOW, what a bargain!
2000 BP for a full bike Shimano 105!
Well, I really DO NOT like this Cervelo strategy.....what will be price of my expensive R5 VWD when I will be about to sell it? A zero! :cry:

I quess, R5 2014 will be the RCA produced in China (same mold....)

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... eek-38126/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MikeyT

by MikeyT

R3 Dark 2014 model announced.

rmerka

by rmerka

Permon wrote:
Well, I really DO NOT like this Cervelo strategy.....what will be price of my expensive R5 VWD when I will be about to sell it? A zero! :cry:

Well if you bought your bike to re-sell it then yeah, I'd say you're out of luck. But just like a car the only way your ever going to get any value out of it is to ride the heck out of it and enjoy the bike for what it is.

Permon

by Permon

No, I did not buy it to re-sell it....but it is always better to get lets say half of the price back to finance the new rig :wink: In this case, the price of the R5 VWD will be much lower :(

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Permon wrote:Well, I really DO NOT like this Cervelo strategy.....what will be price of my expensive R5 VWD when I will be about to sell it? A zero! :cry:

Maybe a good reason to buy a frame on sale, with a team discount or second hand. That is the way the game is played. Technology moves on, frame design moves on. Nothing stays the same. Should expect this and just enjoy your bike for what it is. Did you lose interest in your frame a month ago? Or only now that the grass looks greener on the other side with the 2014 frames? If you like the 2014 bikes, you should wait for the 2015's. I hear those are going to be even better.

53x12

by 53x12

Wonder what the weight will be on the 2014 R3 Dark model.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

The weight is the big question with R3 dark, I would guess that they are using the same molds as the R5 but it would be possible and most likely that they have changed the layup and finish specs( more paint and filler) : )

C