Cervélo 2014 - Rumours / Details?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

BikeTart wrote:The RCa fork has the special coating on the steerer - the new 35 fork doesn't (it's too expensive to trickle down to the non-RCa framesets).

I heard it's not so much cost prohibitive but that the company that owns the patents doesn't want to send the manufacturing, and thus their intellectual property to asia. Cervelo has said they'd like to use the coating elsewhere on the frames & lineup.

by Weenie

MNX1024

by MNX1024

I really don't like what they did with the seat tube on the S3, also, in my opinion the paint job is just horrendous.....

Permon

by Permon

-1 :wink:

I do like S3 design very much. It looks to be more stable / stiffer than S5 :thumbup:
Maybe, more Garmin riders will be riding S series next year.....S3 not S5 :wink:

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Very interesting to see the truncated airfoils on the S3 downtube. Can't wait for the white paper.

Getter

by Getter

I really like the S3. I was about to pick up the R3...but seeing the new S3 is changing my mind.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Likewise, now I'm confused as to getting a R3, or a S3 or even Felt AR or F series looooool. Well, at least there are choices... I'm going to wait for all the whitepapers

djconnel

by djconnel

I assume that's a smaller frame for the 2014 R5 and they didn't drop the HTL.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Don't like the way the shiftcables run into the tube on the new R3 and R5. It looks bit sloppy imho and i think it would be better to have the cable enter the tube on each side of the tube.

Getter

by Getter

More detail on the S3. Me likey...except for the "S3" all over the frame.

Good alternative to the S5 for the guys that don't like the look of the S5 and wanting a higher spec than the S2.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/The_ ... _3854.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Permon wrote:I do like S3 design very much. It looks to be more stable / stiffer than S5 :thumbup:
Maybe, more Garmin riders will be riding S series next year.....S3 not S5 :wink:

You're able to determine all that from a few pictures?

Incredible.

Permon

by Permon

YES! :mrgreen:
S3 has tappered head tube....S5 doen not. I assume it helps front end stiffness. Cervelo says +23% (I quess in compare with old S3)
And as far as I know from Giant stiffeness tests, the S3 was almost as stiff as R5!!! (quite surprising)
R5 was 124N/m
S3 117 N/m
S5 was only 107 N/m

What is the reason that only one Garmin rider rides S5? I read so many papereś from Cervelo how the aero frame is always faster than NON aero one. Are Garmin riders dumb or anything that they dont follow this assumption.
I quess it is a "problem" with handling, everybody preffers stability instead of aerodynamic "soft" frame. If You have better explanation.....give it to us!

Just my 2 cents.

(i.e. Cannnodale SuperSIX is 162N/m)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

:lol:

And you don't need to throw Russell's Teapot at me to try and prove your assertion.

GT56

by GT56

Permon wrote:YES! :mrgreen:
S3 has tappered head tube....S5 doen not. I assume it helps front end stiffness. Cervelo says +23% (I quess in compare with old S3)
And as far as I know from Giant stiffeness tests, the S3 was almost as stiff as R5!!! (quite surprising)
R5 was 124N/m
S3 117 N/m
S5 was only 107 N/m

What is the reason that only one Garmin rider rides S5? I read so many papereś from Cervelo how the aero frame is always faster than NON aero one. Are Garmin riders dumb or anything that they dont follow this assumption.
I quess it is a "problem" with handling, everybody preffers stability instead of aerodynamic "soft" frame. If You have better explanation.....give it to us!

Just my 2 cents.

(i.e. Cannnodale SuperSIX is 162N/m)

that only a small number of garmin riders use the S5 has to do with it's limited level of vibration damping

the thing is fast, but wears one out

Permon

by Permon

Unfortunatelly I did not have a chance to ride S5, so I cannot comment on the ride qualities, I am just quessing :( .... I read ride reviews of S5 and all of them said that S5 was surprisinglly forgiving.

To be honest, my R5 VWD is not as smooth as my R3 2007 used to be! The ride is more harsh.

by Weenie