Need help in saddle choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

el condor

by el condor

I got a demanding button, I struggle a lot on most saddles mainly due to my sharp sit-bones that pierce through the gluteaus, so I need a saddle with a bit of padding. So far the best saddle I have tried was the first Specialized Body geometry, bought a few-now none left and looking for a saddle with similar features like a groove in the middle and some padding. Lately I tried the Specialized Toupé which was sort of ok just missing a little bit of extra padding, then I tried the 2010 Romin SL saddle when it came out-same problem, a bit too hard, rode it in 143, my sit bone distance is 120.
So I was thinking maybe the newer Toupé or Romin would do the trick, is there a model with a bit more of padding than the older-first ones? Was also looking into the Fizik Arione-, Aliante and Antares Versus saddles, as they have some extra padding and a groove but some reckon that the padding is too soft and therefore will squeeze in between the legs as this is also a zone I get a lot of numbness. Any hints? Right now I'm riding on a Fizik Vesta (ladies)-saddle :noidea:
Last edited by el condor on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

everyones sit bones are different. i think you're on the right track of finding one that works for you. i went through the same motions...trying several different ones. maybe you should investigate buying into a demo saddle program where you can try several at one time for a fee...then, once you settle on one, get reimbursed the amount you spent on the demo process. well worth it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

el condor

by el condor

kode54 wrote:everyones sit bones are different. i think you're on the right track of finding one that works for you. i went through the same motions...trying several different ones. maybe you should investigate buying into a demo saddle program where you can try several at one time for a fee...then, once you settle on one, get reimbursed the amount you spent on the demo process. well worth it.

Yes you're right it's difficult to ask for an advice as we all are different, I just don't have the possibility to get into a demo program where I live as you suggest, so I may be buying 2 saddles that come close to my previous ones. I'm just tired of using ugly chunky saddles as I'm sure there's one out there that doesn't look ugly and isn't an anker.
I belong to the people who rather have a bit a heavier saddle but be comfortable on longer rides which makes more than up to the little weight gaining, but I think there should be a saddle in the 200-isch gram zone that should do the trick.
I noticed that for my piercy sit bones the best saddle is one with a bit of extra padding that is not soft or else it won't work, like gel is too soft, needs to be sort of a harder foam where my bones can stick into it and stay there :)

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

One thing to consider in your situation (similar to me) is how much "side skirt" the saddle has, that is how far the shell and padding extends down the sides. Over the years to get lighter saddles, material has been shaved away from the sides, often leaving a hard edge that for some interferes with the glutes/hamstrings. As extreme examples, consider a vintage Selle San Marco Rolls as having a full "side skirt". And then something like the Fizik Antares as having almost none.

For me personally I have found comfort on three relatively lightweight saddles. The original Selle Italia Flite shape, the Fizik Aliante Carbon, and the Prologo Scratch Pro. These seem to fit me well and enough shell down the side to prevent the saddle from digging into my bottom.

dj97223

by dj97223

Look at the SSM Mantra. I liked the Toupe alot, but it did not have enough padding on the sitbones (it also was not very durable). The Mantra provides the pressure relief and just the right amount of sitbone padding for me. It is not real WW, but not too heavy. Some shop (Trisports, IIRC) had a demo program for the Mantra.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

Koobi saddles. Most comfortable saddle I've ever used. My lightest saddle, selle italia Teknoflow was the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever used. They have a 30 day guarantee, so if you hate it, they'll give you your money back. Their customer service is top notch. Their saddle quality is top notch. Their saddles are made in Italy by Selle Italia and even had the same QC stickers as my selle italia saddles.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Specialized Avatar Expert. You won't like the weight but it will probably work. I am big with sharp sit bones. Tried them all. This is all I can use.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

After going through quite a few saddles in a short span, I got on a Selle SMP Dynamic. Instantly loved it and now have a few thousand miles on it and its by far the best I've been on.

SMP makes several shapes with differing amounts of padding for each shape. Worth a shot.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

If you like a 143mm wide saddle or close to it. The Aliante is worth checking out. The make a few different models. The Carbon Aliante come in both metal and carbon rails and has firmer padding. The Aliante Gamma has metal rails and a softer padding.

lannes

by lannes

I went the other way, to get a good fit, less padding in the saddle (Arione 00) and better padding in the bibshorts (progetto x2 padding)

http://blog.castelli-cycling.com/2009/0 ... -seat-pad/

el condor

by el condor

Thank's for all the input-options, I will follow them up and see what I will take. Can someone tell the (riding)-difference between the first Specialized Romin model and the new ones? From the eye there is some change in the design?

boots2000

by boots2000

Try the Ergon SR3.
Comes in several widths- more padding than a Specialized, especially on nose.
Edges of the saddle are not a sharp as Specialized.

VeloScaper

by VeloScaper

The newer Spec. saddles have more padding than the old ones (circa '06). The latest toupe pro has more padding than my original toupe gel. If you visit a local shop that has them it would be really easy to judge for yourself. I recently was shopping for a new saddle and went with the Romin Evo Pro. Love it. The sides sweep down faster giving more freedom of leg movement and the upward tilt at the back helps rotate my pelvis more. I feel I get more power to the pedals than before. I was a 143mm in a toupe and went with a 155mm Romin.

NealH

by NealH

I also use the Romin Evo and its a fine saddle. My sit bones often bothered me also so I tried shorts with thicker, or more dense pad such as the Sugoi RS, RSE, and Gore Xenon. They work superb for me. The denser pad provides a little wider latitude of saddle selection....not to mention these are very good shorts.

As stated above, the newer Spec saddles, in general, have more padding than their predecessor models.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

Just get a San Marco Regale and be done with it.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com