Look Keo Blade 2 2014

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gitsome

by gitsome

Ugh....
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

Rick

by Rick

I had been using the Gray grip cleat, and as mentioned before, it released very easily on my 16 Nm Blade 2s; I wouldn't want it to be any less.

A couple days ago I switched to the Red (9°) non-grip cleat, and it is MUCH more difficult to release! It does not seem like it is just because of the slight increase in release angle. I can't figure out why they would be so much more difficult to release, but I had a couple of very high adrenaline dumps trying to pull my foot free at stop lights. Eventually I always did get out, but it was amazingly difficult, particularly surprising because the Gray cleats had been so easy.

The Red cleats seem functionally similar otherwise: they have a light, smooth floatiness across the slightly wider angular range, just as expected. I am stumped as to why they would be so much more difficult to release.

Now that I am used to it and mentally prepared to do an "ankle twist interval" at each release, I guess it is tolerable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

Just got a pair of CroMo 16, weighed in at 112.6 g's each. Have not installed yet...undecided as to keep or return...

Rick

by Rick

Another niggle:
I looked down yesterday and noticed that the thin carbon border at the outer edge of one pedal, at the edge of the stainless wear plate, had chipped off.
I don't even know when this happened. It must have been some minor random bump or a missed entry or something that put stress on it, because I certainly have not touched the pedal in any corners.

I have obviously reaped some bad karma for ridiculing the sharp outer edge of the new Time Expressos in other posts. :oops:

The thin carbon edge of the Looks is also apparently very fragile. Since it left a ragged carbon edge I smoothed it off and rounded it a little with sandpaper so it is just flush with the wear plate at the outer edge. It still looks OK.

I should probably mention that I still like the pedals. But it is easier to posts about specific problems than to just post "worked good today".

Did I mention they are light ? :thumbup:

gitsome

by gitsome

Just installed mine and rode a quick 50 miles or so... So far really liking them. Yes, they dont spin as smoothyl and dont tend to lie facing up as much, but I really dont find this to be an issue whatsoever, even at intersections, just takes a second's worth of attention clipping in and youre fine, really not a bother and barely more than any other pedal which sometimes required attention anyway.

Wat I have noticed on the few Ive seen riding, is the little circular covers on the side of them seem to fall out, as another poster mentioned. Not sure if this matters or if it will be just aesthetic.

I really like the engagement and the large platform they feel nicely snug and in contact w the shoe, great transfer. My finger are crossed they last and remain as nice as they were today.

Weighed in at 112.3 and 112.6 (claimed is 110)

Keo HM Ti's they replaced were 102 each.... (claimed was 90) ... go figure..

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Ok, so it has happened. The dreaded failure while JRA...

One of my Looks felt... funny. Took it off to take a closer look...

Very annoyed. Replaced (this is the start of a holiday weekend here in the US) with a set of bog standard and heavy Look Keo 2 Max. Same black color, far heavier. But riding for the next three days beats waiting for the parcel post with a new set of pedals...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

maquisard

by maquisard

Pete, do you know if they plan to replace them with like for like Keo Blades or the new Keo Blade 2? The latter makes more sense as the first version clearly have issues. Companies often like to use warranty claims to get rid of old stock however!

For the record I am warming to my Blade 2's.

gitsome

by gitsome

Thats where my Blade 1's cracked too, and most others I think. Major design flaw there, they should replace w 2's, if/when my replaced 1's crack again I am ging to fight for 2's. Fwiw the Keo max carbons are not much heavier at all and bombproof. probably best bet for the money but I shouldnt say that considering i just gor new 2's...maybe thats a jinx. U can find 2's for half price online,...I wonder if thats a bad sign or somethign else like competitive sales..

Powerful Pete

by Powerful Pete

Honestly don't know. I do not remember where I purchased them and do not think I have a receipt. Will write to the nice folks at Look and see what they tell me...

Powerful Pete

by Powerful Pete

Ok, cannot find the receipt. :x

Has anyone had any luck with a warranty without a receipt?

maquisard

by maquisard

Does Look not have an online registration system now? Did you register the details of your pedals through that. If you have the box I think you get a serial number off that and register.

Although they request the place of purchase and date, they do not request the receipt.

http://www.lookcycle.com/en/int/infos/e ... duits.html

gitsome

by gitsome

I have sent LOOK 3 emails regarding another issue (595) and have not gotten back a single reply. I also sent email t their rep (or rep I corresponded w couple of years ago re cracked pedals) and have heard nothing back either.

My respect and affection for the brand has plummeted. F.U. Look. Seriously. F.U.

I hope someone from the company reads this thread.

Rick

by Rick

When the bolt cover fell off my new Blade 2 I wrote an email to the website given at Look USA for assistance. I just wanted to find out how to buy some spares.

No response.

gitsome

by gitsome

Ok, in all fairness I just heard back a few WEEKS later but its appreciated. Apparently engineers were looking at my pics.

Thanks LOOK, faith restored.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

Although it seems like it would be reasonable to expect an email response within a few DAYS, at least to let you know the topic is under review.