Look Keo Blade 2 2014

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

VTBike

by VTBike

Just wondering - is there any logic to people still buying the older blade model? I've been riding mine since 2012 (ti axle). Thousands of miles with no major issues. I'm 200 lbs, and ride alot of elevation. The pedals hang perfectly to clip into. They make occasional noise in the cleat area - but a simple spray with lube on the moving part, and some carnuba wax on the metal platform fixes it completely. They are still $230 on ebay. Is there any real difference between those and the blade 2, other than the spring change?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

The Blade 2 seems to have EVERY issue. So the logic of staying with one that has NO issues seems pretty clear. :thumbup:

NiFTY

by NiFTY

In building my new bike i opted for the older keo blade for reliability reasons not to mention much cheaper. Very hard to find the ti spindle models in the older blade now though.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Sorry to revive an old thread - anyone had tried both the 16NM and 20NM version and can do a comparison? I am using the 16NM which is perfect for me and I never felt it difficult to unclip, and bought the 20NM for my new build recently. Am now thinking if I should exchange it for a 16NM one - is it very much harder to clip in or out compared to the 16NM?

Rascal

by Rascal

I purchaced & rode the 20nm Keo Blade 2's shortly after their release. After riding them for a number of weeks and working with the various issues (squeaks, clicking, uncliped hang angle), I went back to my older Keo CR and Keo Ti pedals. I am once again happy. To address your question, while using the 20nm blade I did feel that the unclip tension had me wishing I had bought the 16nm. If you are intending to stick with the blades, I would go for the 16's.
-Giant TCR
-CAAD5
-Klein Rascal

mca56

by mca56

I just replaced the springs on my 16nm Blade 2 Ti with 20nm. I prefer the 20nm. FWIW I turn the adjustable tension all the way up on my older Look Keos.

Also, I recommend the Bi-Material cleats instead of the Grip cleats. They are easier to clip in and they don't squeak.

maquisard

by maquisard

mca56 wrote:Also, I recommend the Bi-Material cleats instead of the Grip cleats. They are easier to clip in and they don't squeak.

Why look can't just make a bi-material cleat with grip pads is beyond me! It is strange to have two products, both of which have known flaws.

Molotov

by Molotov

maquisard wrote:
mca56 wrote:Also, I recommend the Bi-Material cleats instead of the Grip cleats. They are easier to clip in and they don't squeak.

Why look can't just make a bi-material cleat with grip pads is beyond me! It is strange to have two products, both of which have known flaws.

The main thing I can't get is why no consideration to the balance and feel of the blade 2 was paid during development - never mind the grip, the clipping in itself and how intuitive it is absolutely ruins it ...

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I can safely say I've mastered the art of clipping into them without looking down already. I suspect riders who use it as their first pair of clipless pedals will find it really friendly as they don't have to do the top-flip before clipping in. For experienced users we just need time to adapt to it I guess.

airsky

by airsky

I have mine Keo classic which is serving me well.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Rick wrote:The Blade 2 seems to have EVERY issue. So the logic of staying with one that has NO issues seems pretty clear. :thumbup:

Just finished riding with Blade 2's for a month
I always wondered how a set of pedals could get 16 pages of chat - now I think I know - my experience is they are awful.
Going back to my Mk1's
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Dynamo00

by Dynamo00

Any one know where I can get Ti spindle replacement? Thanks

muntos

by muntos

Any feedback lately ? Still problematic pedals ? I own a Keo 2 Max pair and would like to get the lighter Blade 2 Ti but reading this topic seems that there might be some problems...?

fogman

by fogman

My Look Keo Blade 2 Ti pedals have been problem free for 2+ years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DrJeffers

by DrJeffers

I made the switch to Blade 2's (standard axle) from older Keo sprints for my new bike last May, and did so with some trepidation. But 2000km later actually, i've found them to be pretty good and have grown to really like them. Yes, the hang angle thing takes a little initial adjustment, but i actually find them easier now to clip in blind without the toe-flippy thing - once you position them you've got more time to plant the cleat, which makes for fewer fumbled entries. The metal plate can squeak on climbs (a spot of chain oil in the centre of the plate seems to mitigate when i remember to do it before setting out) but they clip in with a satisfyingly crisp 'snick' that doesn't loosen up and require adjustment over time- no doubt you are properly clipped in every time, and they seem really solid and planted once in. The lower stack height does give them a very direct, premium feel. Generally happy, and prefer them to the old Keos that i'm still using on my old bike. Slightly surprised at this...