Look Keo Blade 2 2014

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aftereffector

by aftereffector

Powerful Pete wrote:No issues with current blades at 16NM. The new ones do look nice and are light. Pleasantly surprised that Look has also finally resolved the dreaded cleat squeak that made me swear off the old Delta Looks...

@aftereffector, were your cleats worn, by any chance?

Possibly, and you're right - that would definitely have done it. I might have also just done something weird with my pedal stroke.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm looking to try something other then speedplay for awhile... these are going to be my next pedal (Ti/16's)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Can anyone comment on whether the increase in pedal platform area with each model actually does any good at all, since the actual area that the cleats contact the platform remains unchanged?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Kayrehn wrote:Can anyone comment on whether the increase in pedal platform area with each model actually does any good at all, since the actual area that the cleats contact the platform remains unchanged?

Very good point. Doesn't seem to make much sense at all, but they all increase the contact area every update.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I upgraded from the Keo classics to the 2012 Blades. The Blades do feel wider and more stable.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

gilldog

by gilldog

Im In limbo having just build a new bike up these would finish it of nicely. Nice bit of evolution from the previous version looking much cleaner, and in my opinion they have dura ace beat on looks hands down. fingers crossed they perform as well too.
Any word of availability in the UK yet? im not sure i can hold off riding the new steed until these get to the UK!

quinner

by quinner

Agree, difficult to swallow the mark up for little performance benefit over the regular Keo.

sawyer

by sawyer

Anyone got these yet? Any reports?

Small but useful decrease in stack height is attractive.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

JimmyRingo

by JimmyRingo

I have a pair of blades fom 2012, unfortunately the carbon leaf spring splintered on me and none of the dealers local to me say that they can get a replacement as a spare part, although sources tell me that they should be able to...I should probably go direct to Look. Anyhow, the centralised, thicker form of this version inspires a bit more confidence over the previous incarnation.

gitsome

by gitsome

Biggest thing to hope for on these is DURABILITY. Everything else is great. But will they last...That's the issue for Blade...
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

maquisard

by maquisard

One potential problem I have with even the new design is that the carbon leaf spring is still exposed. Speaking as a current blade user one thing I find is that if I am in traffic, stop / start etc with lights, there will be times when you attempt to clip in and accidentally hit the wrong side of the pedal. This happens rarely but it does happen and I have little scuff marks on the back of my left pedal due to this. Is the new carbon spring in the Keo Blade 2 recessed enough that it is shielded from the cleat if the user accidentally tries to clip into the wrong side of the pedal?
Last edited by maquisard on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gitsome

by gitsome

Good question, but they are hopefully replaceable if worse comes to worst. I just hope they don't crack at the back end of the pedal body itself such as happened to me and many others, that part is certainly not replaceable. And that little tab that sticks out on the side god forbid on a low side slip or something could catch the ground and snap off too... but when they work they do work so damn well...

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

I just bought a set of keo blades cromo last week and was quite tempted by the keo 2. Thing is, with the keo2 around the corner, you're getting some really good deals on the keo cromo. The 10 grams weight difference (220g for the keo2 cromo v 230g for the keo cromo) did not justify the extra £50 I'd be spending. Btw, they came in weighing at 229g.

gitsome

by gitsome

The issue is not weight so much as that many of us here have experienced failures/breakages with the blades and are not exactly trusting of their durability anymore as they seem to crack at the back somewhat regularly, at least given the sampling of replies on these threads regarding pedal

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Luckily enough, the 40 odd guys from Sunday's peloton who ride blades don't moan so much about them. Maybe it was a lucky sample, maybe their all new. From the feedback from that bunch I gave it a shot. Hopefully, if it does brake it happens during the first year and I'll just warranty it for a new one.

Guys who are experiencing failures had the pedals for how long before they went bad?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com