New bike or SRM Power Meter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hatone

by hatone

Currently I've a 10 sp Di2 Trek Madone 6.9 SSL. I'm reviewing the idea of changing bikes, more likely to a Trek 7 series with 11 sp Di2.

This had me thinking - wouldn't I be better of investing in a SRM power meter with PC7 and training with that on my current bike than upgrading to a new 11 sp 7 series bike? Training with a power meter might yield better results than a new bike...? Hmmm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sisbud

by Sisbud

Definitely srm.
Purchasing a powermeter has definitely changed the way i approach training and it has definitely improved my performance

Geoff

by Geoff

You already know what I'm going to say, but definitely get the SRM. You can probably find a used DA 9000 SRM, too.
Last edited by Geoff on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Geoff wrote:You can probably find a used DA 9000 SRM, too.

Not likely. They can't even fill back orders yet.

Voye

by Voye

Why SRM...???

Get another power meter at better value (stages, P2M, Quarq...so many now) and get yourself another bike as well for no or little extra cost. I understand that SRM might be the "Cadillac" of power meters but it actually makes little difference to most of us wrt training results and improvment.

My 2 cents!

eric

by eric

A PM is not more than an expensive bike computer unless you take the time to understand training with power and to analyze your data. Or pay a coach to do it.

Buy the Allen/Coggan power meter book first. If it's all boring number stuff to you, you don't need a PM. Nothing wrong with that, not everyone wants to geek out over charts n graphs in the evenings. And you don't need a PM to be fast.

I agree about a Powertap or Quark being good enough. A Stages may be too depending on what you want to do and your l/r variability.

hatone

by hatone

With a BB90 frame, my PM choices are quite limited it seems.

Stages isn't available in the UK

Quarq with Di2 is a little troublesome - google it.

Powertap isnt an option as I run Bontrager D5 wheels and very happy with them as they are

Rotar 3D+ Power doesn't work with BB90, only the 3D which doesn't have power option

That leaves me with an SRM based 7900 crank, which I know will absolutely work without issues.

Unless I've missed something,,,?

neeb

by neeb

Powertap isnt an option as I run Bontrager D5 wheels and very happy with them as they are

Couldn't you get the Bontrager rear rim rebuilt on a 24 hole Powertap G3? Powertap just announced a big price reduction too... It would probably only add about 100g to the weight and not peripheral rotating mass.

Voye

by Voye

Power2Max with 3D crank....same as Shimano and will fit the Trek perfectly:

http://www.power2max.de/

tinozee

by tinozee

These guys are right, it's really a commitment when you dive into power meter training. The program you follow and being dedicated to it (for years) is going to be mandatory in order to get much out of the power meter. But if you've trained for years, you know how valuable having good data over time is.

Personally I am a training nutcase, always have been. I enjoy training and even rehab after injury as weird as that sounds. I've raced bikes since I was 9 years old (now 41) and just started training with power a year ago. It was actually Strava and their estimated power that got me super curious. Now I use a quarq. It's really just another tool to measure progress/fit level or lack thereof. But also, on the bike, it can be neat to "see" the power output numbers during certain familiar ride segments and also when you "feel" certain ways. It's another measure that can give you some clarity you can't get otherwise with wind, group draft and other "helpers", also the effects of heat, injury, illness have on power.

My vote - power meter.

Geoff

by Geoff

@Tinea, 7900 (my 5 year-old is still working on his dictation skills).

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

Powermeter. Your bike ain't holding you back.

deluxerider

by deluxerider

Get a powertap wheel and the new bike. Best of both.

NealH

by NealH

I would get the new 7 series Madone and train by heart rate. I don't see any advantage in power other than being able to benchmark a number for comparisons to others. But training by HR will make you every bit as fit as training with power.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com