New bike or SRM Power Meter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tinozee

by tinozee

You don't use it to compare to others, you compare your own data. Ie., HR may be the same down the line while you are getting more fit and putting out more power with less effort. So, 170 hr may mean 240w in april 2010 and 300w in June 2011. It's really a good measure and anyone using one properly will tell you the same.

I always wonder why these 10K bikes don't ship with power meters. Anyone using a bike like that is going to want one unless the bike is a luxury item.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drmutley

by drmutley

hatone wrote:
Quarq with Di2 is a little troublesome - google it.

Unless I've missed something,,,?

Hmmm I've never googled it... Having said that I run a mixture of three BB30 & GXP Quarqs across my bikes with Di2 and I've never had any compatibility issues. Only issue I had was trying to run a GXP quarq on a BBright frame with enduro adapters.... Never again!!!!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

tinozee wrote:I always wonder why these 10K bikes don't ship with power meters. Anyone using a bike like that is going to want one unless the bike is a luxury item.

Ha! All 10k bikes are luxury items.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

NealH wrote:I would get the new 7 series Madone and train by heart rate. I don't see any advantage in power other than being able to benchmark a number for comparisons to others. But training by HR will make you every bit as fit as training with power.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. IMO a powermeter will do more for your fitness and training than any bike frame will ever do.

Sort of taken back by this post.

Max Gravity

by Max Gravity

Get an SRM this time and a new bike next time and next and...
I'm still on SRM V and they just keeps on working.

+ the sooner you get data to monitor your progress (or decline when that age comes:()
the more data you have to compare to obviously.
Max Gravity, unfairly treated by gravity!

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tourdejack

by tourdejack

I say get the bike. I had an SRM and looking at numbers while training and racing took the fun out of it and slowed me down.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Bike, take it from someone who has a Quarq. It is interesting to know the numbers and see progress you might make, but it doesn't magically make you any better. It is a tool that can be used to gauge performance and fitness.

Get a Quarq, less money AND a frame. Instead of a SRM.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Zigmeister wrote:Bike, take it from someone who has a Quarq. It is interesting to know the numbers and see progress you might make, but it doesn't magically make you any better. It is a tool that can be used to gauge performance and fitness.

Get a Quarq, less money AND a frame. Instead of a SRM.

Well...........no......the numbers don't make you better. It's the application of the collection of data to a training plan.

This isn't debatable is it? I mean, PM's aren't a flash in the pan gimmick. Take it from someone with a Quarq......

Side note: how many bike frames have made you "magically better"?

eric

by eric

Mine bike added a mile per hour to my average speed on my regular loop!

(yes, that is a joke).

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Question for the OP. hatone, are you racing? From your use of the word "training" it sounds like you are. So, genuinely, a PM and a means to apply the knowledge (read: a coach) are going to give you more 'bang for your buck'*. It's also not as if the present bike is a hunk of junk either.

*this is just from my experiences, racing National and UCI level for the past 18 months

tranzformer

by tranzformer

PM for sure OP. If you are racing, why not both as some mentioned? If you aren't happy, I am sure you could sell your bike and get a PM and a new bike. A CAAD10 would be a great bike for racing since you wouldn't lose much if you crashed your frame in a race. As someone else mentioned, maybe look into a Quarq instead of a SRM?