Kinlin TB25 vs BHS TB415w

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neverwasbeen

by neverwasbeen

Hi all,

Looking to build up a set of tubulars for crit racing. Does anyone have any views / experience on these two rims? Which is stronger? Which is better suited for crit racing? Which is more aero (width of BHS vs depth of kinlin)? Other options to consider?

The only feedback I can find on the BHS so far is here - http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2 ... 33280.html

Cheers

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I was looking at the BHS rims yesterday, and wondering if they would work with the tubulars I have (22 and 23mm). Description on their site is almost non-existent, whereas the VS explanation cleared it up for me. So, they are intended for wider tubulars used in CX applications it would seem, and not suitable for anything less than a 25mm tubular.

Wonder why they don't carry a tubular rim for road application.

A search took me to the wheelbuilder.com site.

How about these? Under 400g too.

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/velocity-escape-tubular-rim.html
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

For crits I would either choose Escapes or TB25.
If you weigh more than 160 lbs, go for 24/28 or 28/32 with the Escapes.
I run TB25 20/24 at 170 lbs, and they are straight as an arrow, even after a (rather tiny) crash at last wednesday's crit.

Aero. Shouldn't be considered (IMO) in your list with those rims in mind.

TB415W is a copy/paste of the Velocity Major Tom rim. I wouldn't use them for sharp crit turns.

I wouldn't use them with tubulars below 25mm either, it would be even better with 27mm tubulars. I never had the BHS rim in hand, but had Major Toms. The rim bed shape is not like the new wide carbon rims, it's flatter. They don't allow tubulars to sit deep in them, and provide a nice aero combination. They're more made to allow very wide tubulars like CX tubs to have some larger surface for a better bond (IMHO).

Louis :)

neverwasbeen

by neverwasbeen

Thanks for the feedback. So it looks like the kinlins are the way to go. I am 180lbs and thinking of matching them to some bhs hubs 20 front radial and 24 or 28 rear 2x, using aerolite spokes.

Any views on 24 or 28 for the rear? Our crit course has a couple of hairpin turns so high torque accelerations out of the corners from low speed.

Also, what tires match well with the kinlin rims for road? I saw they only take 28inch tires.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

neverwasbeen wrote:Any views on 24 or 28 for the rear? Our crit course has a couple of hairpin turns so high torque accelerations out of the corners from low speed.

Also, what tires match well with the kinlin rims for road? I saw they only take 28inch tires.

I'd be going 28 spokes.

28" is the standard size for a tubular, equivalent to a 700C in clincher. Unless otherwise stated that's what it is and it will fit a standard tubular rim. You will have a choice of 21mm or 23mm in some brands like Vittoria. I'd choose 23mm.

You may also see 26" which is equivalent to a 650C in clincher.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I have a set of TB25, Laser 16/8 rear 20 front, BHS SL hubs. They have been generally fine but I'm only a 120 pounder. My next alloy set would however be Ambrosio Chrono F20 rims with Campag rear hub. WW-wise for me F20 28/28 spokes ahead of TB25 20/24.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com