Eurobike 2013 - Official Anticipation Topic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fletch62

by fletch62

Havent seen a real good picture but the Olmo TT bike looks the same also.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/eurobike-2013-italian-road-bike-gallery/277884

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

That's quite funny! Are there multiple aero road frames that are exactly the same as well?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fletch62

by fletch62

I wonder what the price difference is between what Hongfu charge and the re-stickered name brands? Also what each brand charges for their 'exclusive' frameset/paintjob?

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Anyone have any pictures of the 2014 Time ZXRS ? :?:

I am hoping for some subtle differences in paint design, this next year.

fogflip

by fogflip

Any one have more info on the Lazer Z1 or better pics than whats out there? The helmet looks intresting...

redhed18

by redhed18

fogflip wrote:Any one have more info on the Lazer Z1 or better pics than whats out there? The helmet looks interesting...

Agree, but am reserving judgment until I see it on someone's HEAD. :)

carbon2329 wrote:Anyone have any pictures of the 2014 Time ZXRS ?

Time seems to have the 2014's posted to their website
http://www.time-sport.com

This may also help,
it says it is Time 2014, and was posted 2 days ago
There's a whack of pics and a 7 minute video.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/ben500/archives/32181262.html

deek

by deek

Has anyone seen pictures of the new Giro Prolight?

trychle

by trychle

Do you mean a new Giro Prolight helmet or Giro Prolight slx shoes?

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Probably the shoes, new colors, upper material and replaceable heel pads
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I didn't feel like taking the Canon 60D with me for stuff you will likely see on other resources so here goes.

Tune booth was cool. Not huge, but in a good spot. Bunch of laid back reps. Most of the guys on the showroom floor were barefoot, which was sort of odd.

I'm still myself trying to figure out this brand. I originally heard of them from a friend in Chicago last season who wanted their skewers, (which I have to pick up for myself, soon). They seem to make some pretty decent stuff, though I can see minor cosmetic flaws at times and read one or two unfavorable reviews about fading anodized finishes and sharp machined edges but is there such a thing as 100% satisfaction in cycling? The products seem to be a modern revitalization to the anodized colors of the 90's MTB scene, with a touch of carbon, an interesting mix and light enough to tickle your (WW's) fancy.

Tune Carbon Cranks.

I gather the name of this one is the Black Foot, (from the snapshot below). It reminds me of several different carbon cranks I've seen/used over the years but the weights listed were pretty amazing. Unfortunately, the crank was mounted on the display so I never actually had an opportunity to handle it. In retrospect I could have asked but if the weights are accurate, that's pretty impressive. The finish of the crank was smooth clear-coat over a sort of schizophrenic woven finish. They use the Tune graffiti script logo in raised carbon on the arms which I'm neither here nor there on. I see it catching and looking chipped up, down the road but who knows. I'm not so sure the graffiti logo is a great fit for a €900 crank in 2013, but again aesthetics aside, the weights and durability are the main focus of the product. Weight so far, outstanding. Durability, we'll see. Price? I failed to ask dollars or Euros. The answer was 899. I'm sure it's posted elsewhere by now.

If you read this much, you deserve a few pictures. Again, my apologies for being lazy but I literally took an overnight train in (9 hours each way) did the Expo and back that evening. Wasn't so bad, I'd do it again.

The Black Foot
(Love the translation)

375g with chainrings?

Again, sorry for the iPhone pics.

Purple anodization reminds me of Kooka cranks in 1995.

BB spindle/arm interface reminds me of Teds Gravitas V1 carbon crank.

Simple nuts and bolts.

Of course there were the wheels. They had a tubular and carbon clincher on display. I also read they were doing some deals with Enve but we already know what Enve is up to and it will be interesting to see which hub options are favored, as well as which set up Tune wheel/hub or Enve/Tune, or... will customers choose moving forward. Again, from a cosmetic standpoint I personally have done this look a while ago with Ringlé/HED wheels (look wise) and I do prefer my current 5 month old Enve 6.7 / King R45 for its looks but it's hard to argue with Tunes weights, assuming the wheels are as stiff and can handle it, like the Enve's/King's have been doing for me so far.

Overall the hoops looked good. I didn't ask if they were molded or drilled and again, in retrospect... but the sidewall didn't flex when squeezed and, weights correct, (they were bolted down) they should do the trick. They used a high gloss natural weave 3K finish throughout, (honestly looked like more eBay Asian wheel manufacturing, stuff we've seen time and time again). But, there was one area I did not like. On the carbon clincher I could see the gap where the fairing joins. Looked like an old metal rim on that area and while it was not present on the brake track, it didn't look as clean as the inside of a Zipp 404/Enve etc, of this level.

Again, sorry for the iPhone.

Tune is definitely headed in a great direction. I liked the personality, plan on picking up the brand and doing a cL version of something with them down the road. Similar to what Ciamillo and I have been working on over the last few months and when I showed them an example, they seemed quite receptive so stay "Tuned".

Oh yeah, those guys at Lightweight had the Urgestalt frame on hand, actually just sitting casually behind the front counter. Lightweight booth was the perfect Prada / Gucci showroom which didn't fail to disappoint. Using cut wheel fairings as hangers for their Assos branded garments but I was surprised that the frame did not have a more prominent position. Regardless I picked it up and was shocked. Probably the lightest frame Ive handles granted there was no seat clamp hardware and no pressed BB section, but the headset was fully assembled. Price wise, hard to say. I find their wheels are a little expensive given they cannot be trued and I have read they find a 1-2mm wobble within spec but they seem to be in charge of their own destiny. I casually approached them with the idea of offering their products and they were comfortable with continued online presence so we'll see.

I didn't take many images but you get the picture.

Wife's gotta play with the carbon.

And there she is.

I snapped off a few more boots and made a few more connections but nothing Earth shattering about showing you pictures of Froome's TT bike or the dozens upon dozens of similar frame sets out there. The market will dictate what succeeds so may the best logo win.

Snippets: I do not like the Shimano road disc system. Its bulky, kind of cheap looking and the heat sinks on the rotor can be bent by hand, with little effort. I dislike the Ultegra 11 speed Di2 rear derailleur finish, reminiscent of the blue tint on 1992 XTR parts and does not match the rest of the group in any way. The 11 Ui2 front derailleur is much improved in contrast both the motor size and the solid black color. Look, looked like they just unpacked the same booth from Inter bike last year unless my eyes were deceiving me. Colnago actually showed up, with Ferrari commuters, a TT bike with a dirty stem riser and IMO was a disappointment, no energy, no real interest from any of the staff on deck. I was surprised to see HED, Chris KING and Thomson at the Euro event, though happy I did and I really wish Pinarello would just get on with the over baked forks and make a straight one.

Other then that, great event.
Last edited by carbonLORD on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
carbonLORD.com

deek

by deek

SolidSnake03 wrote:Probably the shoes, new colors, upper material and replaceable heel pads

Yep, meant the shoes. Just saw it mentioned on BikeRadar but no pictures.

spartan

by spartan

mavic branded expresso pedals. i like the graphics vs black/red theme of time version

Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

carbonLORD wrote:Tune is definitely headed in a great direction. I liked the personality, plan on picking up the brand and doing a cL version of something with them down the road. Similar to what Ciamillo and I have been working on over the last few months and when I showed them an example, they seemed quite receptive so stay "Tuned".

What exactly does a "cL' version entail, beyond addition of cL logo?

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

virenque wrote:how many can you spot at eurobike:

Interesting, I assume that these re-branded TT frames have the UCI frame compliance sticker?

If so, I have an argument to make with the commies if they give me a hard time with my FM086 TT bike (err um, my Plasma Cannon 5 :wink: ) at my next UCI sanctioned TT race.

Somehow I think I am fighting a losing battle here :unbelievable:
More than 10 years a Weenie!

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

nigel379 wrote:Pictures of the new Felt AR, please.

Website is updated:

www.feltbicycles.com

-SD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com