HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:05 pm 

I cannot figure this one out; I am about to pull my hair out! I have an Orbea Terra with 6700 shifters and derailleurs and despite my best efforts I have never been able to get the rear shifting well. It seems like I always have the barrel adjuster in the wrong position. If i adjust it so that the upshifts are good, it doesn't downshift. Likewise, if I adjust it so that the downshifts are good, it doesn't want to upshift. This holds true across the entire range of the cassette, not poor upshifts on one end and poor downshifts on the other end like typical with a bent hanger. I was blaming this on cable friction. This frame uses the Gore specific routing and I was just assuming this was causing high friction. However, I just installed new Nokon cables/housing and the problem is exactly the same. When move the cable by hand, there doesn't seem to be any significant friction, but I do notice that as I shift through the cassette (to the larger cogs) the action at the lever gets harder; noticeably harder than my 6700 equipped Tarmac. I have removed the derailleur and all of the pivots seem to be moving freely. I have also done my best to check the hanger by using a straight edge and measuring to the rim, though I am sure it would be better to use a proper gauge. I am afraid that I am going to need to start pulling parts off one of my other bikes to swap on to this one in order to sort this out. Anyone have any better suggestions?

Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:05 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:30 pm 

Kind of feel you - had loads of problems when switched from 2300 to 5700/6700 and initially with 6700 having jerky downshifts.

Guess all the usual would be check for cable routing, make sure there is nothing touching the frame etc etc, but odd because you say tension feels okay by hand. This might be misleading though as a small difference feeling by hand might be huge on the shifter.

One other thing I can suggest is maybe looking in side the shifter itself and making sure the cable guide in it is in good shape.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:55 am 

I have gone from Dura Ace 7800 to Ultegra 6700 and also had the exact same shifting issues with the rear derailleur. It was never quite right, maybe for 1 ride then out of adjustment. I recently installed Dura Ace 9000 cables for shifting and braking on my 6700 and it now works better than 7800. The guys at the bike shop were amazed they said my bike shifted like butter and the braking performance is a major step forward (can lock up rear wheel with 2 fingers).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:49 am 

Hanger alignment. Why pull your hair out over it without checking hanger alignment properly.
How are you checking front to back with a straight edge, the frame is in the way.
Fact is, hangers are not even properly aligned on brand new bikes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:13 am 

timzcat wrote:
Hanger alignment. Why pull your hair out over it without checking hanger alignment properly.
How are you checking front to back with a straight edge, the frame is in the way.
Fact is, hangers are not even properly aligned on brand new bikes.

+1.

Posted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:13 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:35 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. I spent some time messing with it again last night and again came to the conclusion that it has to be excessive friction. To check this, I ran a full length piece of shift housing from the shifter all the way back to the derailleur. When I did this it shifted perfectly. So I am back to thinking it has to be that Gore Specific "DCR" (Direct Cable Routing.) I hate the thought of just using cable ties to attach a full length housing to this pretty frame, but I am starting to think it is the only way I am ever going to get proper shifting.