Shimano 6800 vs 9000?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

ScottGoBlue wrote:So, if you are planning on moving to Ultegra 6800, it sounds like the recommendation would be to spend a little extra and use the Dura Ace 9000 Front Derailleur? A quick search and this looks to be an extra $70 ... I'm OK with that.

Scott

With the 9000 cables (which I must stress, have had some issues on mine and my team mates bikes) I'd say it'd be a good move. And leave you with a group that shifts better than 7900/not all that short of 9000.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

What was your issue with the cables? Are these the ones that retail at £20 each?

I'm about to be issued a warranty Addict R3 frame and am contemplating Shimano 11 after years on Campag 10. Trying to figure out what cocktail of parts would suit me. I really like the 9000 aesthetic so I have a feeling I'm going to want DA everything except the 9000 cassette (and maybe chain), but I'm agonising. The price jump is pretty big but I fear a mixed groupset would offend my eyes.

If aesthetics weren't an issue, what would be the best performance/£ combination? I'd guess 9000 STIs and FD, with 6800 everything else. What do we think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

The mix of aesthetics would ruin it for me....I ordered all the parts on eBay and spent less than $1,300 to upgrade to DA 9k.....I think 6800 is going for 1k, so price isn't that big of an issue.

F45

by F45

6800 is under $800 shipped.

cajer

by cajer

Where can you get it for under 800??

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Yeah....never saw it for that low. I have actually seen 6700 going for $700+ for new.

OwenJames

by OwenJames

My input;

I went from 7900 to 9000 early this year. 9000 is definitely lighter, slicker, sexier, crisper, more refined, better looking, etc.

I broke the RD shift cable after 3 months use though, inside the shifter. Getting it out was a bit of a pain, but only took about 10 mins. I checked the cable route and everything was/is perfectly smooth and direct, so I can only put this down to the cables not being particularly long lasting. They are mega slick though, so maybe this is the trade off.

Overall it is excellent. Definitely more sensitive to set up though, and unlike 7900 which you could pretty much install whilst wearing boxing gloves, 9000 needs a gentler, more considered touch. Small adjustments seem to make a big difference, unlike 7900 which you could get basically in the right zone and it would shift fine.

I have not ridden 6800, but if it is slightly less pro than 9000 it is still going to be absolutely brilliant.

53x12

by 53x12

I think one question is whether ~260g in weight savings is worth the 2-3x increase in cost to move from 6800 to 9000. Yes, there are other benefits like aesthetics, refinement, longevity...etc. that DA might offer over Ultegra. But Ultegra ain't a bad option imo.

I think a more interesting question for myself would be 6870 vs 9000? Might lean towards 6870 on that, especially if I had a frame that was designed for internal Di2.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

OwenJames wrote:I broke the RD shift cable after 3 months use though, inside the shifter. Getting it out was a bit of a pain, but only took about 10 mins. I checked the cable route and everything was/is perfectly smooth and direct, so I can only put this down to the cables not being particularly long lasting.

Mentioned in another thread, but my team (myself included) are all having this issue with 9000. Apparently it's due to the inner lining out the outer. It bunches up, causes friction and destroys the cable.

Whatever the case, it's a longer lasting cable design off being as close to faultless as any mechanical grouppo on the market today. Personal preferences, of course, notwithstanding.

mattr

by mattr

tranzformer wrote:it seems like some think DA lasts longer and others argue Ultegra lasts longer.
It probably depends on the failure mode.

I've found for sheer durability, shift after shift after shift, the "working" bits of D-A just last. Forever. (Brakes, shifters, Fr/Rr mechs, Hubs) 4 or 5 seasons is doable, given a lack of crashes and extreme weather. Ultegra will do a couple before it gets sloppy and too annoying to race on.

Soon as you start adding in the consumables, Ultegra begins to look more sensible. (Cassettes mainly, as D-A chainrings last rather well compared to Ultegra). 2 ultegra cassettes a season, 3 D-A, maybe 4. (only used two D-A cassettes, ever. Bought at the same time on a deal, both worn out before the season was over. Stuck with ultegra after that)

Once you stick a bit of salty corrosive sweat and road salt/grime, rain and so on into the mix, i found that the D-A started to deteriorate much faster. Maybe this is as it's more refined and susceptible to the degradation, or maybe its cos the odd missed shift on a manky Ultegra groupset is acceptable, as opposed to a manky D-A groupset........ on my training bike, D-A shifters only lasted 16-18 months before i got fed up with missed shifts, then they got binned, the Ultegras that replaced them are still in use, 7 years later.

This is all on older stuff, but i suspect the same still applies. Roughly.

davidalone

by davidalone

^ what he said.

if you ride any amount of sensible miles, in rough weather, or race, the durability of dura ace quickly becomes a moot point. with the money I'd save on a DA vs ultegra I could near afford to get an almost new ultegra groupset a year down the road if it fails.

I would however, go with the DA crank over ultegra. looks badass, cranks don't wear out, and it's lighter.

OwenJames

by OwenJames

Tinea Pedis wrote:
OwenJames wrote:I broke the RD shift cable after 3 months use though, inside the shifter. Getting it out was a bit of a pain, but only took about 10 mins. I checked the cable route and everything was/is perfectly smooth and direct, so I can only put this down to the cables not being particularly long lasting.

Mentioned in another thread, but my team (myself included) are all having this issue with 9000. Apparently it's due to the inner lining out the outer. It bunches up, causes friction and destroys the cable.

Whatever the case, it's a longer lasting cable design off being as close to faultless as any mechanical grouppo on the market today. Personal preferences, of course, notwithstanding.

Ah nice one for supporting my theory! I had some people claiming I had installed it wrong / had somehow caused the snapping on another forum.

Right, so this is an issue then.

And yeah, aside from this, 9000 really is amazing.

GT56

by GT56

Tinea Pedis wrote:

did you use the 9000 specific ferrulles at the shifters ?

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Are the cable breakages always occurring at the same point?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

GT56 wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:

did you use the 9000 specific ferrulles at the shifters ?

Of course.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com