H Plus Archetype & Hope Pro 3 Vs Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

^ This......I had a set of Elites and they rode like a coal cart. If that is what you are looking for, then have at them. I had Archetypes in a 24/28 before going to my current XC279/DT 350 build in 28/28 and I wouldn't trade either of them for the Elites.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

I've run the Archetype on 24h rear on 240s hub with x2 lacing using ACI DBs for probably 5, 6k kms. 75kgs. Rolling hills & rutted roads in Kent / Surrey / London UK.

If you're after bomb proof jump up to 28h. At my weight 32h would be over kill.

20h front radial has taken anything & everything without any fuss.

& don't forget the 240s have a poor flange size & spacing. A better hub would be a better build in 24h, let alone 28h rear.

The one thing I would do differently on that build is brass nips all around for the rear. The ally nips have been a pain given fairly high tensions on the 24h build, so they don't like being tweaked too much... which I have done a couple of times in the overall usage period.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nairnp

by Nairnp

Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I have test ridden the Elites and to be fair, really liked how they feel, I like a stiff / direct setup.

I am meeting up with a friend that haves the archtypes (though on Royce hubs) to compare.

I looked at 32h as I am 220lb. I was advised off two different wheel builders this is what I would ideally need.

My current set are 1700g though, so its a toss up between save weight (1520g for elites) or better ride & IMO better looks but heavier (1750g aprox for Archtypes)

The matter of repir is irelevant, my LBS is a Mavic Premium shop, so they carry all spares and would be able to do any repairs the same day.

Devon

by Devon

You may want to check the weight recommendation for the Mavics, I'm pretty sure they don't allow for such weight.

DJT21

by DJT21

There really is no point saving 200g on the wheels when you weigh 220lbs.

Get the Archetypes for a better ride quality and durability. It's a no brainer.