Cervelo S1 frame crack...aaaagh!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

So I was out yesterday and my S1 was creaking like hell within a mile. I turned round came home and on inspection found two hairline cracks at the seatpost, shim junction. It has been in the same position to the correct torque since it's purchase last March, maybe done 3000-4000 miles on it max. After reading on the various forums it seems to be reasonably common; I am soooo gutted. Does anyone have experience of warranty through Tri UK in Yeovil for Cervelo, or just what normally happens in this instance, I'm headed there at 9am..... :( :( :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Time to get a S2! They should take care of you just fine. That area as you already know is pretty sensitive to clamping pressure.

Routier

by Routier

Thanks for bringing this up. I've just checked my seat tube as there's been a slight creak coming from somewhere and guess what...

I'll be off to the dealer on Tuesday.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

not the news anyone's after is it mate...hope we both get a decent resolution, it's not good that distribution has moved from Madison from somewhere in Europe, Germany I think the guy in TRI UK said. Keep in touch , maybe via PM if you get news before I do, I have heard of swaps for S2 or pay a bit more and get an r3 in these circumstances...

kikkie

by kikkie

Had the same thing, Cervelo offered me an discounted RS or a partial refund (my guarantee ran out just before). Took the latter, mate of mine has the same thing. think its why they discontinued it (though thats just speculation).

Routier

by Routier

I'll let you know ASAP, Monkeyboy.

I'm not sure about this but I always assumed that the S1 was dropped because Cervelo rationalised the number of frames in their range prior to being bought out, after all expensive alu doesn't sell too well these days.

odin99

by odin99

what size was it? i've got a dual frame that is a 54 - the dual and S1 were very from what i understand (except the seat tube angle - but dual comes with a flippable seatpost so it can be set up in a road position or TT)

User Name

by User Name

Yes, it's very common fault, and it's obviously worth trying to get a replacement.

Mine has a small crack there, but it hasn't got any worse since I noticed it about 4 years ago. I reckon the fault is not really with the frame, but because the carbon posts are too small (why do we need shims there in the first place?!), or because the carbon posts very quickly crimp in too much at the back. When the posts get squished in at the back, the clamp has to be done up further and further (even with the shims), which obviously eventually bends the alu in too far.

Mine was new, but bought from a private seller (he got it as a warranty replacement), so I didn't even bother trying to replace it.

The best thing I did was get an aluminium post for mine, because it's not gunna squish, and they're noticeably bigger!!! What's up with that?!

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

yeh v poor design imho. Aero yes, strong no. Mine was a size 56.

rmerka

by rmerka

Maybe you can get one of these as a warranty?

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

i hope so, the only colour i have seen is the red one, not a great fan but the black looks great

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

the frame and wheels where designed for each other!!!
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

User Name wrote:Yes, it's very common fault, and it's obviously worth trying to get a replacement.

Mine has a small crack there, but it hasn't got any worse since I noticed it about 4 years ago. I reckon the fault is not really with the frame, but because the carbon posts are too small (why do we need shims there in the first place?!), or because the carbon posts very quickly crimp in too much at the back. When the posts get squished in at the back, the clamp has to be done up further and further (even with the shims), which obviously eventually bends the alu in too far.

Mine was new, but bought from a private seller (he got it as a warranty replacement), so I didn't even bother trying to replace it.

The best thing I did was get an aluminium post for mine, because it's not gunna squish, and they're noticeably bigger!!! What's up with that?!

Which aluminum seatpost fits in there?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Cervelo offered a 2position post for aluminum p2sl bikes and the dual. That post came in carbon and aluminum varieties. It is a direct fit into the s1, s2, s3...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Routier

by Routier

Just got back and as you say the distributor is changing, so they've emailed Madison but I'll have to wait 6 weeks or so until the new one takes over before I hear anything.