Cervelo S1 frame crack...aaaagh!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deanh

by deanh

That sucks big time. It's pretty rubbish too, I guess they just expect you to be frame less for 6 weeks +

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

wow, that is garbage isn't it? I don't know about you Routier but I do have another steed but to date it's strictly a dry weather Wilier GT but obvs don't want to wreck that beauty. TRI UK in Yeovil was my store and have been very helpful thusfar, they seem to be liaising direct with the European distributors which if you check on the Cervelo WSite is Cervelo GMBH ( Germany I believe) I am gonna catch up with them on Friday to get an update. I will continue to do so weekly just to keep up the pressure as such. I have wide enough shoulders that if I had done this through user error or misuse then I would suck it up but this is a genuine warranty claim.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

deanh has a valid point, I and lots of others on here are lucky enough to own numerous bikes, others not so ( or choose not to clearly ) Lots more people locally are commuting on similar gear, i can imagine it being a real PIA if it were my 'get to work' steed.

Routier

by Routier

Sorry, I wasn't clear: I'm keeping the bike in the meantime, the 6 weeks is until I'll know if I'll get a new frame as the LBS - Royles in Wilmslow who are very good - said that Madison are passing on warranty claims at the change over.

It's just unlucky timing really.

User Name

by User Name

silvercivic27 wrote:Which aluminum seatpost fits in there?
These ones.

http://www.all3sports.com/cervelo-alumi ... tpost.html

The head is obviously spun around in the photo.
60 bucks without the top bit.

However, despite what it says on the ad, I'm not sure they fit in the carbon S-series frames, because it didn't fit in my Carbon Soloist (it's in my 2007 alu Soloist).

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

fair enough Routier, I have given my bike to TRI UK and left it there. I could have carried on riding it but didn't fancy a catastrophic failure , not that it would have happened but didn't fancy risking or creaking all the way round my rides.

Getter

by Getter

Warranty on my girlfriends S2 (paint crack) took no more than two weeks here in the States.

Sucks to have to go for six weeks without a bike. :noidea:

VPR

by VPR

I had my S1 swapped to a S2 last winter due to the same problem. I informed the dealer about the problem in June and the replacement frame arrived in August, rode the cracked frame until October no problem and switched then.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Result....Christian at Tri UK rang me today to advise that a new S2 frame is on it's way to them for me following my cracked S1. It's bizarre that I had been speaking to Dan at Tri UK and he was finding the new process with the new distributors ( based in Germany) protracted. I don't know whether it's coincidence but I emailed Cervelo Canada yesterday on this saying I was disappointed at the lack of contact thusfar ( they would have received the mail about lunch their time ) Today in Spain appx 10am I got a call about the new frame. Who cares though. The result is exactly why I like a lifetime warranty.

Routier, have you got any news yet? if not maybe use mine as an example...

Routier

by Routier

No, but I wouldn't expect anything for ages yet as AIUI nothing will happen until the German distributor takes over. I'm not in a rush anyway, I'm happy riding the S1 for now.

Thanks for the update anyway.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

I get to keep the S1 frame which is useful as the 3t fork is in perfect condition almost also I don't know if there is a known fix for say sawing out the cracked area and bringing the seat clamp down or fabricating a new one somehow. It may be worth something to someone who knows what they're doing I guess.

pantelones

by pantelones

Monkeyboy3333 wrote:I get to keep the S1 frame which is useful as the 3t fork is in perfect condition almost also I don't know if there is a known fix for say sawing out the cracked area and bringing the seat clamp down or fabricating a new one somehow. It may be worth something to someone who knows what they're doing I guess.

I have a similar crack on my S1, with a new warranty claim, and don't think the crack is much of an safety issue.

It is my understanding that this is most likely a stress relieving crack that initiates and propagates in a fast manner which relieves the stress concentration. Once the stress is relieved it likely to grow at a very very slow rate if at all. I couldn't find any posts from people who have a failure type event due to these cracks. I can't imagine it failing in any catastrophic/dangerous manner... maybe you get a really bad seatpost squeek or slipping.

I really wouldn't mind keeping my frame as a backup and would have no compunctions riding it the small seatpost cracks it has.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

response from cervelo Europe below today, new frame defo on the way which is great, thought the contact details may be of use for anyone in a similar boat in future.....

"Hey Martin,

thank you for contacting Cervélo.

I have checked the ticket from Tri UK and can tell your, a new frame is already on the way and should be deliver in the next days.

The delay came about that we are the new distributor for the UK and we work on a new dealer network and don´t have all the informations from dealers to create an account for them.

I hope you will enjoy your new frame.

Best regards.

Cervélo Europe GmbH
Matthias Brahms
Kundenservice
Siemensstrasse 1-3
49661 Cloppenburg
Germany
Tel: +49 4471 95855-120
Fax: +49 4471 95855-299
E-Mail: service@cervelo-europe.com
Internet: http://www.cervelo-europe.com "

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

So I am now back in the UK and my replacement S2 frame has arrived, over the moon considering it could have taken a lot longer given the change of UK Cervelo distribution. I will start a thread on this build as there will be some changes from how the S1 was left, probably including some 50mm farsports and a few other bits and pieces.

For those that are interested frame is a 56, weights are -
frame with cage bolts, hanger and seat clamp (headset not fitted yet) - 1138g
uncut fork no headset - 391g
post - 196g
fsa headset, cap and bolt out of bag - 77g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Getter

by Getter

Congrats on the replacement frame...looking forward to the build!