Slotting spoke holes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dimitri

by Dimitri

Has anyone done it? thoughts?

I'll have to admit ive already gone ahead and done it. But it was a cheap front hub. This time I want to do it on a rear hub, but id love to hear from someone who has put some serious miles on a rear wheel with this mod'.

I will be using MAC 494 spokes. About 3mm and their widest point. So we are only talking 0.4-0.5mm of material.

We sell a lot of American classic stock wheel sets at work and they come with slotted spoke holes, but id just like some reassurance :)

Geoff

by Geoff

There is no other way to run spokes like Sapim CX. You need to use a really high-quality hub, for starters. I think you would not go wrong with a 'factory' hub (Campagnolo or Dura-Ace). I would recommend doing the work with a jeweler's file (I like Grobet needle files). Take off just as much material from the inside of the flange as you need to fit the spoke, no more. Make sure you finish the cut well (as smooth as possible).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

I use this for a few 1/10s of a mm.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/05237227

File towards the center of the hub and only take off what you need. I usually count the passes for consistency. Typically, that's 65 passes per hole.

Dimitri

by Dimitri

great replies. thanks.

the hub im planning to use is white industries T11.

probably should help get the word out for them as it doesn't seem to be common knowledge yet, but they've revised the flange spacing, the DS center to flange is now 18mm. DS is 35mm. flange diam' have remained unchanged 40.5mm/55mm.

ergott

by ergott

Really? That's excellent news.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

I can't understand why they moved both flanges? They gained 2mm on the DS, but lost 3 on the NDS :noidea: