New race day wheels (tubulars) - almost every big brand

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nagge

by nagge

I'm trying do decide what wheels to get. Where I'm racing it's usually quite flat with rolling hills so my thinking is aero should trump weight, but at the same time I don't want a sluggish wheel that wont accelerate quick out of corners as some races are quite technical.

Wheels I've been thinking about are, along with my thoughts:
Enve 3.4 CK (maybe a bit shallow and not aero)
Enve 6.7 CK (only negative is the weight) <-- These are the wheels I'm leaning towards at the moment.
Zipp 404 (6.7 seems like a better choice since weights are roughly the same)
Mavic CCU (not as aero)
Lightweight Meilenstein (not as aero)

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome :thumbup:
SuperSix EVO III Ultegra 8070

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

The difference between 3.4 and 6.7 doesn't seem all too big at moderate yaw angles.
http://www.enve.com/cache/DOC126_Web_AeroGraphs6.7.pdf

lannes

by lannes

Reynolds RZR Team 46

Geoff

by Geoff

If you're looking for aero with decent weight, the Hed rims are really quite nice.

nagge

by nagge

After reading about the (maybe) coming threat of a 65mm limit from the uci i've decided to go with the zipp 404s as not to be stuck with illegal wheels. As they are a bit on the heavy side I might look into getting a pair of light climbing wheels somewhere down the line.
SuperSix EVO III Ultegra 8070

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

We need a bit more information about you in order to help you make the best decision possible. How much do you weigh? What type of terrain do you usually ride? What do you expect to gain by upgrading wheels?

Zoro

by Zoro

nagge wrote:I'm trying do decide what wheels to get. Where I'm racing it's usually quite flat with rolling hills so my thinking is aero should trump weight, but at the same time I don't want a sluggish wheel that wont accelerate quick out of corners as some races are quite technical.

Wheels I've been thinking about are, along with my thoughts:
Enve 3.4 CK (maybe a bit shallow and not aero)
Enve 6.7 CK (only negative is the weight) <-- These are the wheels I'm leaning towards at the moment.
Zipp 404 (6.7 seems like a better choice since weights are roughly the same)
Mavic CCU (not as aero)
Lightweight Meilenstein (not as aero)

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome :thumbup:

Guess you bought them. Less known, but very nice are Mercury M5s with Extralite hubs - 25mmX55mm (have 404s and Easton SLs) and with 25mm FMB cx - they are a very nice race wheel. The weight on these was 1110g/set.

Grill

by Grill

lannes wrote:Reynolds RZR Team 46

This. Nothing stiffer and stronger out there.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

I'd like to buy new wheels (tubular) for hilly and rather windy area.
I wonder about the choice between Enve 3.4, Xentis squad 4.2, Vision metron 40 and Reynolds 46 Aero (DET shape or new Assault SLG - rounded).
Which of them will be the best in terms of performance and...durability? Can you help me, please? :)

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I would personally get a used set of 404 FC tubulars, string them up with better hubs.

Still be $1000 below a set of Enve custom built, unless you can find a used set build the way you want.

Until Zipp finally resolved the hub on the rear with the V9, they were garbage and super slack and sloppy for me personally. Just do it up 2x rear and tighter.

lannes

by lannes

I would look for a 2013 Reynolds 46, they dropped the 46 tubular from it's aero and performance line ups this year, I think their only 46 tubular is the RZR's.
For me the Reynolds with the DT hubs and spokes has the best rolling and durability, having been riding a 46T for 3years with no problems at all. The Reynolds are a bit lighter at 1200gms

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I own, Enve 3.4 & 6.7 as well as 2013 Zipp 404's.

If I could only choose one, it would be the 404's because they stop better then the ENVE's. With the new 2014 dual cross lace rear and taller flange (but added weight) I still think they are a winner but man do I love the look of the 6.7's and the stiffness is outstanding.

Just don't do 808's, too slow for anything but TT's.

carbonLORD.com

Zoro

by Zoro

fifarafa wrote:I'd like to buy new wheels (tubular) for hilly and rather windy area.
I wonder about the choice between Enve 3.4, Xentis squad 4.2, Vision metron 40 and Reynolds 46 Aero (DET shape or new Assault SLG - rounded).
Which of them will be the best in terms of performance and...durability? Can you help me, please? :)
Coach has RZR teams, son used RZRs. For a lot of junior races these are not allowed - they require medal spokes. The RZR teams are stiff and weigh more. The (non team) RZRs are not UCI legal and flex a bit. We also have Eastons and some others in the stable. So given a choice, and at the weight of close to the RZR teams my son now rides 55 profile, 25mm wide Mercury Cycling M5s - 1110g/set (with Extralite hubs) and 25mm tires. Obviously I'm showing off my kid, but also you can see these are great wheels in this video: https://vimeo.com/85856079

Zoro

by Zoro

fifarafa wrote:... best in terms of performance and...durability? ...
Tires have a lot to do with this. Wider profiles definitely decrease rim / durability issues. They are of course heavier and supposed to have lower rolling resistance (too hard to tell IMO).

Zoro

by Zoro

1110g / set.

Seen here - lapping the field on Mercury Cycling M5 - 25mm wide

Some other good choices, but the M5s are preferred

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com