HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:29 pm 

After being a satisfied Time RXS user for years I recently decided to try a different pedal system (bearing longevity and servicability was allways a problem for me with the RXS).
I ended up buying a pair entry level SPD-SL pedals (the R550) to see whether I would like them, figuring I could allways buy the DA version later and put these on the training bike.

So I tried the R550 SPD-SL's for the first time yesterday, but was really annoyed by how much up-and-down play there was on the pedals. The pedals felt rather sloppy, my feet were noticably rocking up and down on the pedals when pedaling fast, the cleats making a clicking sound.
I figured this was maybe because of the yellow cleats I was using, but today I used them with the blue (sh12) cleats, and while the play was maybe a little less, there's still significant movement when I pull the shoe up and down when clipped in. I'm not talking about float here, which is rotational and fine by me.

Is this a thing of the cheaper SPD-SL types? Will I like the the Dura Ace version better, or do the more expensive versions also have this?

For reference, these are the pedals I've got:

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:29 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:13 pm 

what kind of shoes are you using? if the sole is too flat, the cleat will get bent back on itself slightly, causing the slop you described.

I rode sidi shoes on the same Dura Ace pedals for 8 years, and never had slop issues. Started riding new Bont shoes and had slop. I just put a piece of foam tape between the sole and the cleat, slop gone.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:18 pm 

I used the R550s for several hundred miles before switching to the 5700s and neither has anyone up/down slop whatsoever, even when the plastic body on the R550s was nearly worn through. You may have a defective pair.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:27 pm 

Using Bont shoes, so that could very well be it. Thanks for the suggestion, will try the foam thing tomorrow!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:38 pm 

I would use heavy foam bar tape, or cork tape, under the center of the cleat, between the front and back bolts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:36 am 

I've had the opposite problem- tighten down the cleats and they bend so much that they won't clip in. This was on some Sidis, like 5 years ago.

The no float red cleats have less side to side slop than yellow but none should have up and down play unless perhaps you have a very worn cleat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:47 am 

When I first got a pair of SPD-SL pedals, I tried them with the fixed cleat (red), and found that it felt like there was actually float and a little movement up/down for some reason. But, once I tightened up the spring in the pedals with a small allen key, that completely resolved itself.

For reference, winding 2-3 times around on the adjuster should resolve the play.

The pedals can take up to 4.5 times windup, but from my own trials, the cheaper ultegra 6700 silver are best set at 3 times windup, and ultegra 6800 carbon pedals likes 2 times windup.

Cheers,
metal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:56 am 

What Spud said is the issue. That method should fix this.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:35 am 

Yup, Spud has given you the answer.

Personal experience was the direct opposite for a friend who was installing it on a size 38 Diadora. The sole curved too much to the point that it was all nigh impossible to click in while riding on the road.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:52 pm 

Thanks guys, a few small strips of lizard skins tape under the cleats, and presto, no more play.

Always great to see how versatile the knowledge is on this board, would never have thought of this myself (and neither did google or my lbs ;) )

Ps: imo Bont and/or Shimano should make a note of this in their user manual.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:11 pm 

I haven't found the need for tape to stop this problem with any of the team members I've fitted. But here are some things that matter:

1. The cleat is flexible so if you're mounting it on certain shoes, it curves and either becomes a very tight fit or becomes a sloppy one, depending on the conformation of the sole of the shoe under the cleat. Usually it becomes sloppy. So put a tiny bit of shim under either the front or back of the pedal (not both) and it'll reshape the cleat. It's such a big cleat -- the advantage is that it gives a great mating platform for stability but the disadvantage is that it is susceptible to flex if you bolt it to a sole that isn't conformed properly for it.

2. You aren't quite clear about what kind of sloppiness you're referring to. You're using cleats with float, which for me is the same as sloppiness. Definitely try the red cleats, which have nominally zero rotation and are called fixed cleats by Shimano. They still have a little bit of movement and develop a little more as they get worn, compared to a really rigid all-metal setup like an old PD-7700 SPD-R system which has absolutely zero free movement.

3. As stiff as some shoes appear to be in your hands, they can be fairly flexy on the bike. I've found this is frequently true of Bonts. For rigidity I like those with more advanced construction in the sole itself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:34 pm 

spud wrote:
what kind of shoes are you using? if the sole is too flat, the cleat will get bent back on itself slightly, causing the slop you described.

I rode sidi shoes on the same Dura Ace pedals for 8 years, and never had slop issues. Started riding new Bont shoes and had slop. I just put a piece of foam tape between the sole and the cleat, slop gone.

Wow! I never knew about the "flat sole" thing.

I gather what you're saying is that the front (or both ends?) of the cleat gets bent slightly toward the ground, therefore, leaving a tiny bit of space between top of the cleat and the front of the pedal engagement area.

I have Sidis (6.6 and 5.5), and I've been putting up with a little bit of pedal front "lip" vertical movement since I started using Shimano clipless about 12 years ago; well, I found a couple of slightly dodgy ways around it, which weren't great.

Oddly, the movement has always been more on the left than the right, on all the pedals and shoes I've had in that time.

I stopped telling people about it, coz no one seems to believe me. Perhaps I tighten the cleats screws too much.

On the older pedals with the plastic top cover, I sometimes glued a very thin piece of plastic on top. :D
However, one day I saw another guy's bike, and he had a strip of cloth tape around the front of the pedals, which is what I've been doing for several years. The tape obviously doesn't last long at all, so I have to replace it every few rides.

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:34 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:15 pm 

User Name wrote:
Oddly, the movement has always been more on the left than the right, on all the pedals and shoes I've had in that time.

Same here! I unclip pretty much all the time with my left so wonder if this has an impact on it?