Suggestions of light steel frames!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickf

by nickf

Got my caad9 down to 14.5lbs. Heavy carbon clinchers. Enve 1.0 going on soon and new tubs will get me into the 13lbs range.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

How does the CAAD ride? Stiff for climbing? She tried the nashbar carbon frame and it flexes a lot during climb. :(

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

nickf

by nickf

Plenty stiff. I'm 175lbs and the caad is super snappy. I would say it's the best production alloy frame. Good bang for the buck when you check out eBay. It's stiff but I tune the ride with good tires and tire pressure. I can do a 200k and feel fine. Next frame will be custom ALU. Rock lobster, gaulzetti, primus mootry.

Colin

by Colin

The Giant SLR is worth checking out as well! Switched from a CAAD10 a few months back and have no regrets! Weighed almost the exact same as the CAAD 10 (slightly lighter, IIRC), but has a much smoother ride.

prebsy

by prebsy

Colin wrote:The Giant SLR is worth checking out as well! Switched from a CAAD10 a few months back and have no regrets! Weighed almost the exact same as the CAAD 10 (slightly lighter, IIRC), but has a much smoother ride.

:up: This bike is worth checking out. I heard good reviews from a shop guy who also deals cannondale and specialized. I know it isn't offered as a bare frameset on their site but I think you could probably get your hands on one if you tried hard enough.

addictR1

by addictR1

which SLR? i google and popped up the TCR SLR.. is that the one? and what's the weight including fork?

Colin

by Colin

Oops, yeah meant TCR SLR. I don't remember the exact number, but mine weighed in the low 1100g range for a small. Fork was 460g, I believe. Also, Giant's sizing is odd. A small is a 46.5cm frame, but I have no idea where they get 46.5cm from, I rode a 52cm CAAD 10.

User Name

by User Name

What the hell happened to the "is anybody rocking light alloy" thread?!?!
Was it merged with this one? Why? This thread is about steel, and the other one was about aluminium!

pam

by pam

Both are technically alloy, they should have merged into the alloy thread, not this one.

reippuert

by reippuert

boolinwall wrote:Sweet looking bike bud. The guys at Guru are friggin awesome to deal with. My carbon bike is a custom Evolo. I absolutely love it. If they offered more steel options than just Columbus spirit, I'd likely have them make me a steel frame some day. Who knows, I still might anyways.
Cippo. Is ZERO XL the new name for the EOM 16.5 alloy, or an entire new alloy altogether? I'm not talking tube shapes, but the boron enhanced stell alloy itself. I know that the 14.5 alloy is now called ZERO. If I'm not mistaken, didn't ZERO become SAT 14.5 quite some time ago? Either way, it's still fantastic tubing for producing stiff steel frames.

Zero HT became SAT 14.5
Zero UNO became COM 12.5
ZERO TREE - not sure it survived
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

Marin

by Marin

Wtf happened here? Alu in the steel thread?

dim

by dim

I'm busy building a 1981 Koga Miyata Full Pro. Made of Tange Champion #2. Frame weighs 2045 grams on my bathroom scale. Not the lightest, but very stiff

I'm busy adding the Dura Ace 7800 10 speed groupset (with 11-28T cassette) but will use the Dura Ace 7900 compact chainset (50/34T). I will add a carbon fork, carbon bars, carbon seatstays etc and good light tubeless climbing wheels

I'm hoping to have a bike that weighs approx 8kg and will use this for some audax rides .... The frame and forks will be sent to Bob Jackson in the UK for a full respray with the decals added.
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand