Lightest Readily Available Everyday Clincher wheelset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

flying

by flying

Any suggestions on something that is *Readily* available?
I am not too heavy at 150lbs. Will probably be 145 later in the year.
All of my rides are heavy climbing. I am on a set of boat anchors now
( Easton Vistas ). I think they are 1800+ grams although I have not verified them. I do not need aero rims.
I use to ride Tubulars but have moved to an area that has lots of glass on the road so wanted to try a lightweight set of clinchers.
Thanks for any suggestions given.

wishIwasSponsored

by wishIwasSponsored

get one of the custom builders that browse the site to build a set for you. Bikemesenger built mine, they're great, though they're not "everyday wheels"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

Ok maybe I should have said every other day ;) As that is how often I ride.
But you know what I mean.....Not fragile race only wheels.
The only thing I have seen that seem reasonable light is the DT Swiss types.
Running about 1425 grams but I think that is with skewers?

wishIwasSponsored

by wishIwasSponsored

mine are around 1370, sanz skewers. they are strong enough for everyday, but I save them for racing, events, and fast group rides. I have a set of beaters i use for everything else. I have a buddy who rides Ksyrium SL's day-to-day, he's around 250pds so it's obvious they're tough enough.

TunedCannondaleR700

by TunedCannondaleR700

http://www.rolfprima.com/products/elan_aero_silver.html

Check these out, 1295 grams per pair :!: 8)
Cannondale is quite simply the best

Ghost Rider

by Ghost Rider

Why not run Bontrager XXX Lite carbon clinchers? They are 1350g. I am running a set and have sold a few of em and they are extremely durable. I weigh 160ish and another guy at our shop rides them at 180ish.

GR

ctkrohn

by ctkrohn

As far as I know, your prebuilt options are the American Classic 350 and the Rolf Prima mentioned above. Bikemessenger made some sweet wheels for cyclemanpat which are 1247 grams... see http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?t=11583

KonaBoy

by KonaBoy

How about the Extralite wheels available at Fairwheel (and other places) at 1190G?

http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/boutique/wheels.html

TACSTS

by TACSTS

I got a set of wheels built from Mike Garcia (oddsandendos.com) that were 1472g (w/o skewers). IRD cadence rims, Speedcific hubs, Wheelsmith XE14 and AE14 spokes. Upgraded the skewers to Joytech Ti skewers (76g) and the grand total shipped with spare spokes in each size used was $409. Very nice, and so far seem to be durable enough for everyday. Call and talk to Mike, he can fix you up.

tcr

by tcr

Ghost Rider wrote:Why not run Bontrager XXX Lite carbon clinchers? They are 1350g. I am running a set and have sold a few of em and they are extremely durable. I weigh 160ish and another guy at our shop rides them at 180ish.

GR

Because you can get alu clinchers at that weight, save yourself a sh!tload of money and have better braking as well! :wink:

flying

by flying

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I was also wondering if there is much of a difference in welded VS sleeved alum rims. Also some have SS pressed in eyelets like the DT RR1.1 Is one more true than the other over the long run & do the eyelets help anything?
Overall I am leaning towards a standard DT Swiss threat type setup.
DT hubs & rims 28 spokes Looks like 1425 gr a set. w/o skewers
Not the lightest but close to or maybe more than a pound lighter than where I am & from what I hear pretty reliable too.
Thanks for all the ideas!

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

How about Easton Ascent ll,only 1419 grams or the Easton Orion ll which I run on my training bike and are great wheels,a little heavier (1477 grams)but have a few extra spokes to carry that extra Christmas weight!
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

dj97223

by dj97223

I have a pair of DT Swiss RR1.1, DT Swiss hubs and comp/rev spokes. I was told they weigh 1430 without skewers, which is consistent with the numbers at the DT Swiss website spokes calculator.

Very durable. I weigh 150# and I have noticed no flex. They are a little harsh, but I run about 115 psi in them. After a year of hard riding, they have stayed true.

They were built by CTBikes. You can find them new on Ebay for about $600.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

It appears like this might be the lightest clincher available at 1186 gram.

made of magnesium

http://www.vuelta.it/19.pdf
██

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

dj97223 wrote:I have a pair of DT Swiss RR1.1, DT Swiss hubs and comp/rev spokes. I was told they weigh 1430 without skewers, which is consistent with the numbers at the DT Swiss website spokes calculator.

Very durable. I weigh 150# and I have noticed no flex. They are a little harsh, but I run about 115 psi in them. After a year of hard riding, they have stayed true.

They were built by CTBikes. You can find them new on Ebay for about $600.

Hey funny you mention him. I am working something out with Paul at CTbikes via ebay. ;)