Upgrading 105 to SRAM Force 22 vs Campi 11s

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pina2

by pina2

Which would you prefer and why? Main difference between Campi and Force?

SRAM advertises that the 22 has to be bought as a set, I am interested if the Crankset needs to be 'part of the set' or will SRAM Force/Red previous generation work as well?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DCnoJ

by DCnoJ

I don't see why the old crankset wouldn't work. Unless it's radically different, I use 10s Rotor NoQ rings with my Campy 11s with no problems.

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

No doubt this thread will go the way of many other grouppo vs threads. But, fwiw, I would actually hold off for Ultegra 11s. If that brings the same improvements over 6700 as 9000 did to 7900, then it will (imo) be the best option for a budget 11 speed. Its fair to say if you buy any one out of Athena/Force22/Ultegra6800 you will be getting a great groupset. Your choice should be dictated more by ergonomics of the hoods and levers relative to your hands, compatibility with frame wheels and ease of service/availability of spares.

pina2

by pina2

bmxbandit wrote:No doubt this thread will go the way of many other grouppo vs threads. But, fwiw, I would actually hold off for Ultegra 11s. If that brings the same improvements over 6700 as 9000 did to 7900, then it will (imo) be the best option for a budget 11 speed. Its fair to say if you buy any one out of Athena/Force22/Ultegra6800 you will be getting a great groupset. Your choice should be dictated more by ergonomics of the hoods and levers relative to your hands, compatibility with frame wheels and ease of service/availability of spares.

I am a bit sick of 105's. And I terribly want 11 speed over 10 speed since I almost never go down to the lower front ring. 11-28 cassette would be really nice :-) for Grand Touring Cyclist.

Are there any indications that Ultegra 11's will be on par for price / weight with SRAM Force?

bmxbandit

by bmxbandit

As a mechanic, I'd always try to advise appropriate choice of ratios relative to terrain so you use both rings regularly ie if you live somewhere pan flat use 53/46 or similar if you live somewhere hilly that needs a 34 or 36 ring instead use compact. Though I do understand people who do a great deal of touring need a wider gear spread. On that point I think both force22 and 6800 will have a 11-32 option which combined with a 52/36 crank will give a very wide range.

I'm not that up to date with prices tbh, but I would imagine they'll be close to their outgoing counterparts. As for weight, I'm sure the guys at fairwheel will have that covered as soon as production units come into stock.

jaibautista

by jaibautista

Your primary consideration should be shifter ergonomics. I have only played with SRAM Red 2012/13 shifters in a bike shop; no experience with them on a long ride. That said, I have owned a SRAM Rival groupset before; the SRAM Red 2012/13 shifters, which are similar in shape and function to SRAM Force 22 shifters, are more ergonomic IMHO.

Compared to Campagnolo 11-speed shifters, however, Campy still wins by a mile in ergonomics (I ditched the Rival in favor of Chorus 2013). If you've got small hands, you'll enjoy how Campy ergo shifters are shaped and operated. Then again, you have to try them for yourself. Not all are fans of the thumb shifters; as far as I am concerned, I'm a big fan of them.

Next would be gearing options. As far as I know, the largest Campy cassette only run up to 29t, as opposed to 32t for SRAM (if you're going for the WiFli option).

As for Ultegra 6800, I've laid my hands on a groupset in a local bike shop. Given that I've got small hands, I didn't enjoy playing with the 6800 shifters. While they're better ergonomically than the 6700 shifters, they're too big for me. Also, there's still that slop (that is, that "dead space" before shifting is engaged). If you don't like instantaneous shifting that may result in accidental up- or down-shifting, it may be a viable option for you.

Good luck. :)

ichobi

by ichobi

Image Campag shifters look and feel better for me. You have to try for yourself though. I like Campy gloss finish better. This one looks pretty cheap.

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

Hold out for Ultegra 11.
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

+1 if 6800 is anything like 9k it is worth the wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pina2

by pina2

Well with all the savings hitting 10 speed sram red with new 22 and force 22 out, I just ordered 10 speed sram red with the 11-28 cassette. Final cost - less than force 22 group.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com