2014 Pinarello Dogma

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

russianbear wrote:I can dig that Pina said *f##k* it to the weight race to the bottom because of the UCI limit. Seems like all the reviews (here and magazines) say that the ride is phenomenal.

Phenomenal ride? WHO CARES?! All that matters around here is the number you see on the digital scale. :roll:

In all seriousness, you're correct. It's quite obvious that the folks at Pinarello know what they're doing by making a stout, confidence-inspiring race frame that's still easily built to the UCI limit. When your bikes are winning tours year after year, you tend not to concentrate on a niche market of gram obsessed one-uppers with no concern for UCI race weight restrictions.

In the words of Boris "The Bullet Dodger" Yurinov:

"Heavy is good, heavy is reliable."
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

That's a pretty good strategy, considering 99% of bike riders don't ride in the peloton.

I'll take a 700 gram weight reduction.

ScuderiaDouroux

by ScuderiaDouroux

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. :beerchug:
Long live the horizontal top tube, standard crankset, and Italian threaded bottom bracket.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

The new colors looks great. I'm a big fan on the black and fluro yellow.

djconnel

by djconnel

ScuderiaDouroux wrote:It's quite obvious that the folks at Pinarello know what they're doing by making a stout, confidence-inspiring race frame that's still easily built to the UCI limit.

I question that. If you look at pro bike reviews on CyclingNews/Bike Radar, the Pinarello's are consistently over. Perhaps they can hit 6.8, but not without compromise.

For example, the first one Google turned up: 7.76 kg.

Another: 7.7 kg

russianbear

by russianbear

I thought I remember Wiggins' bike always being 6.8 at last Tour and him being particular about that.

djconnel

by djconnel

I'm sure for the mountain stages these guys do what it takes to get their bikes down to the limit. If you replaced my 860 gram Fuji frame with a 1260 gram Pinarello, it would be 5.4 kg in the weenie configuration. So 400 grams isn't that huge an impediment. But there are compromises made to get light, so taking a Pina to 6.8 will involve more of those than taking almost any other brand. Clearly if it was "easy" then the bikes reviewed by Cyclingnews would be lighter.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I tend to agree.

When you look at pro builds on Velonews and Cyclingnews etc... most pinnarello's (and others too, to be fair) are above the weight limit.

Wiggins and Froome, I'm sure, got their builds to 6.8, but that was using AX rims and no paint, and no rim tape in th drops etc..(whether that is a compormise I don't know).

But would it be agreeable, to think, that most pro's and teams would prefer thier frames to be light enough that they could easily get them to 6.8 for even the flat stages.

I'm sure frooms was 6.8, but I doubt the rest of the teams builds were. I image they wish they were. They are all trying to perform their best, but not all get the $$ and attention to do so....but a lighter frame (still stiff enough), they would take if they could, I bet.

Ya know. :noidea: :D

spartan

by spartan

check out the latest issue of velo. tested in the lab dogma65/cervelorca/feltf1/focus.

pinarello scored dead last on velo torsional stiffness. yes dead last for the porker..
front end was the flexiest GASP... 660gm cervelo rca had a stiffer bb then the italian. the italians need to hire smarter engineers

overall the felt won. it received a perfect score in the lab ;)
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

bombertodd

by bombertodd

spartan wrote:check out the latest issue of velo. tested in the lab dogma65/cervelorca/feltf1/focus.

pinarello scored dead last on velo torsional stiffness. yes dead last for the porker..
front end was the flexiest GASP... 660gm cervelo rca had a stiffer bb then the italian. the italians need to hire smarter engineers

overall the felt won. it received a perfect score in the lab ;)

I just got that article and found it interesting. I rode a Dogma 65 and Felt F1 side by side and the Pinarello rode better than the felt, even though the Felt costs less I still pay the higher price of the Dogma because it was that much better. I'd like to try the RCA and the Focus, and wish they threw a Colnago c59 in the test. I'm really starting to doubt the quality of Velonews reviews.

I also wish frame reviews were done with the same components, or build all the bikes with the best components possible for a given price. I think this would be a more/interesting fair comparison.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Just goes to show that stiffness and other analytical results don't necessarily trump "feel".

natiedean24

by natiedean24

djconnel wrote: These past few years have been pure personal torture as they have won one mountainous race after another, despite the fact I know the bikes are boat anchors.

They weigh the same as every other climbing bike under a professional rider.

davec

by davec

Idk why people hate on pinarellos (or any bike brand for that matter). It's quite simple... If you don't like it, don't ride it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimW

by TimW

I think the forum names might a give-away in some cases :-)

My only beef with many manufacturers is they all claim to be "made in Italy" (Pinarello is a prime example) and charge accordingly, when they are clearly not. I'd still take a Dogma over many bikes though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com