S-WORKS Evade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

natiedean24

by natiedean24

prendrefeu, you hit the nail on the head with your analysis. I've thought about how this would be a neat helmet at speed (what little I produce) but then consider the following: centeral texas afternoon, 100 degrees, humid, climbing a moderate hill at 15 mph with little relative windspeed.

I think that would end up being miserably HOT!

I hear what your saying about the color not making a difference. I don't care - I have a white Prevail helmet. At least the white colors help me mentally feel like I am doing all I can do to stay cool. I got white shoes too! Plus, I'm not a fan of blending in with the pavement.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Tinea Pedis wrote:I'm at the 2014 Spec launch. Got to interview one of the main men behind the Evade, there's a lot of work out in to this helmet.

Rode it the past few days. I'll be getting one.

i wanna sell my air attack for one...

kode54

by kode54

natiedean24 wrote:prendrefeu, you hit the nail on the head with your analysis. I've thought about how this would be a neat helmet at speed (what little I produce) but then consider the following: centeral texas afternoon, 100 degrees, humid, climbing a moderate hill at 15 mph with little relative windspeed.

I think that would end up being miserably HOT!

I hear what your saying about the color not making a difference. I don't care - I have a white Prevail helmet. At least the white colors help me mentally feel like I am doing all I can do to stay cool. I got white shoes too! Plus, I'm not a fan of blending in with the pavement.

and besides, no matter what helmet you wear...coming to a stop for a light on a 95 degree day with 85% humidity...i overheat with my Giro Aeron.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

Any word on the sl5 yet?
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

mythical

by mythical

Louis Garneau has quite a nice addition to the aero helmet segment. It's called the Course and it's not as ugly and has more vents than either the Evade or Giro's hideous brain bucket. The idea behind the course is the combination of aero with ventilation. That said, I prefer a Giro Aeon or a Bell Gage myself and will happily pedal the extra few watts for the sake of a better looking helmet.

“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

... which happened to have a posted review, in this very forum, on the same day that this thread was started.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117273
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Remember the Crookes radiometers you saw in grade school?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crookes_radiometer

They work because the black sides heat up the air, which causes increased air pressure on those sides. So a black helmet will press you down into the pavement more than a white helmet. :mrgreen:
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

TashkentTerror

by TashkentTerror

In fear of going off topic :oops:
Been riding with the Air attack shield for a while now and I second what Prendrefeu saying.
At speed the cooling is great, even in +25C I can feel the air flowing over my head. (Buzz cut)
In long climbing situasions in hot climate I would go with something with more vents.

I think the reson the aero helmet thing has taken off is partly marketing and partly the cold weather in europe this spring.
The Air attack shield is the best crappy weathe helmet on the marke in my opinion. I really dont care about the aero thing. Living in Norway with the temperatures and weather we have here I think the less vented aero helmets are going to get increasingly popular. I for one welcome the trend, and if i get free speed then great.
The shield is in my opinion a bigger advance than the aero thing, hope someone comes up with a magnetic visor for a vented helmet. wery god for the dreaded wheelspray when drafting pluss no fogging when climbing in the rain.

I like the Evade but the Air attack (in black) is more minimalistic I think.
I also have the s-works prevail and with all the fins and stuff going on it really looks goofy compared to the air attack. (call me crazy) :D

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Thankfully I don't have to worry about hot head where I live (Wellington, New Zealand). It barely gets above 24c in summer so it's no real problem. The Evade will be fine. It does get fricken windy though!

djconnel

by djconnel

Here's an old study by Terry Morse in which the white helmet was cooler when there was a wind (as there typically is when riding). However, he used an inert head foam for the head, while actual heads are self-heated. A result of the test was that a bare head was hottest of all, which is dubious, but then foam doesn't sweat, either.

djconnel

by djconnel

Sorry for 3 consecutive posts, I need to get a new helmet since I cracked my EU-certified Prevail cracked when I crashed last month, and it's a good chance to take advantage of the Specialized 20% crash-replacement discount. To improve aerodynamics, I put packing tape over the front center vents.

So Evade is an option for me now, but there's a gram penalty. Anyone know what that is? (this being WeightWeenies, after all). I'm a big fan of "mass on the head matters more than mass on the bike".

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

djconnel wrote:Sorry for 3 consecutive posts, I need to get a new helmet since I cracked my EU-certified Prevail cracked when I crashed last month, and it's a good chance to take advantage of the Specialized 20% crash-replacement discount.

good point. i have a crashed prevail in my room, collecting dust.....HRMMMMM

g_doraz

by g_doraz

I'm all over this, will see If / when they're taking pre-orders...will be a great road racing helmet
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

I've already put us down for one GDoraz!
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.