S-WORKS Evade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

I like it better then the Giro Jellybean helmet.

carbonLORD.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Clubagreenie

by Clubagreenie

I like my Prevail , I had a Giro Atmos before and it howled when descending or speeds over 40km per hour.
I don't know about where you live but here in Western Australia summer hits around 38-44 degs cel most days and I lurve my vents on the Prevail. Although the new blood buckets look aero I won't be shelling out for something that A.] is black and B.] has little ventilation to allow evaporation and natural flow
2012 KUOTA KOM Team Edition Campag SR11 .....My mistress
2012 RIDLEY HELIUM being built up ....

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I think I will just "evade" both helmets...

mythical

by mythical

:D :popcorn:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

deek

by deek

As ugly as I think these things are, I wouldn't be surprised if we were all riding something similar in 10 years. I think that a lot of people underestimate the frontal area of their noggins. There are a lot of watts to be gained up there. Definitely more cost effective than some aero wheels

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I couldn't help laughing as I also jumped onto the Evade-sion train.
Both helmets pictured on this thread look ugly.
With the lack of testing, reducing the frontal area is my obvious sure-fire criteria. The Uvex on Marcel (3 wins to 1 of Cav's as of today) looks a lot less bulky and no less aero.
Less is more.

Zitter

by Zitter

I've actually seen a lot of air attacks recently at races. track and road

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

Yeah, I've certainly seen a lot of the Giro ones at the local crit/circuit races. But, as others have said, I'll stay away and just increase watts by riding more...

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I like the Evade way more than the Air Attack. Regarding wearing the Evade in hot temperatures, it comes in white as well. I however am saving up for the straight black version. I prefer that to the one with the reddy/orangey stripe on it, and the white versions.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Sorry Derek, the colour of helmet makes NO difference to the temperature of your head under the sun. Helmets have enough foam and insulation that the R value exceeds any affect the color of the exterior may have. Doesn't matter what the design of the helmet is - color of the helmet won't make a difference on one design.

Some helmets may vent (vertically) better than others by design (not by color), but the Evade won't be one of them.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

prendrefeu wrote:Sorry Derek, the colour of helmet makes NO difference to the temperature of your head under the sun. Helmets have enough foam and insulation that the R value exceeds any affect the color of the exterior may have. Doesn't matter what the design of the helmet is - color of the helmet won't make a difference on one design.

Some helmets may vent (vertically) better than others by design (not by color), but the Evade won't be one of them.

Oh well, if that is the case then I am wrong in my thinking. Based on that this would be a sucky helmet for the heat of Perth, and I stand corrected. :oops:

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

I personally can't wait for the Evade to come in to stock in Australia, same as my mate.
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The problem, really, with the 'aero' helmets is that they're relying on forced air (from the front, against the direction of travel) to vent the heat generated by the body/head. So, in theory and in practice if you're traveling fast enough, the air moves through the front-vents (or whatever vent is facing forward at the time, if you have your head down for example), and that travels over your scalp in between your skull and the helmet, over the exposed parts of skull or through your hair, and out the back. When it leaves, it... in theory and in practice, takes the hot air out with it.

The problem though is you need to be traveling at a fast enough speed for this to work. So it DOES work if you're doing a crit. Or a flat Time Trial. Or a very flat road race (see the past few stages of the Tour as an example: aero helmets everywhere!)... but once you slow down, say if you're on a climb, there won't be nearly enough frontal air forcing itself through to remove that heat your body is generating. You're also far more likely to generate more heat spent climbing than on a flat ride if you're putting an effort in: your whole body is getting less of the 'forced air' venting effect. So then that heat wants to go up (hot air travels up, cool air travels down)... but if there are not enough vents in the vertical direction, the heat is basically stuck there for a while until the pressure is high enough to kinda push it out the back with that little frontal air flow. You're basically still stuck with hot air in your helmet. (Which is why almost all of these 'aero' helmets pretty much disappear when the road goes up.. with a few exceptions*) But the problem then is that those vents which allow vertical travel of heat are not helpful to aero properties: the air moving against the direction of travel needs a preferably solid surface to guide it smoothly over the head, and vents break up the flow with all their changes in surface curves (think about the actual opening).

...and that's the problem, basically.

So all of these aero helmets will probably be really darn aero for certain conditions, and potentially detrimental to performance on other conditions if we take into account the dramatic decrease in performance when an athlete is unable to maintain optimum body temperature.

That's the summary.

*There are a few exceptions of those aero helmets showing up on climbing stages, but clearly the Evade or the Scott version are not among them.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'm at the 2014 Spec launch. Got to interview one of the main men behind the Evade, there's a lot of work out in to this helmet.

Rode it the past few days. I'll be getting one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com