Lightweight SPD-SL shoes with replaceable heel pads?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

applebaconator

by applebaconator

I tried the Giro ProLight SLX shoes and I like them a lot - simple, with no buckle or wire and feather lightweight, well ventilated and comfortable and stiff. Almost perfect. But one of the biggest cons with the SLX is the super thin, non-replaceable heel pads.

What other top of the line SPD-SL shoes are there that are
- similarly lightweight and simple (the less buckles or wires, the better)
- and compatible with SpeedPlay
- and have replaceable heel pad

Anyone know??? Thanks!

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Closest I can think of would be the Bont Vaypor+ at 225g. It has replaceable heel and toe pads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I know some of the old SIDI's had replaceable heal pads. Not sure if any of the new models do, however.

Camilo

by Camilo

Just a thought - and I have no idea if it's practical.

Could you buy a replacement heel piece for a different shoe and bolt it with flat thing like a T-nut or such through the heel of your shoe under the insole? Or cobble together something home-made with some dense rubber material? Better yet, just shave off the remnants of the old one, and glue either a replacemnt pad from a different shoe or fashion something to replace it. It's not a high stress area for glue. I"ll bet regular hot glue would work, epoxy at the "worst".

I'm looking at the replaceable pad from my Sidi and there's little doubt in my mind that I could bolt or glue it onto a shoe. It's just a shaped piece of dense rubber. I've actually been thinking of replacing it with something larger - thicker and larger - to give me a better walking surface with the cleats, less duck-footed.

Probably easier to find a pair of shoes, since there's a million great shoes out there. But it wouldn't be tough to add one.

arbitrage

by arbitrage

could be a great use for sugru!

https://sugru.com/

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Sugru, or Shoe Goo.

On some other shoes I've used Shoe Goo with success. After it dried up I trimmed the blob to shape and it's held up quite well for months on a pair of trail running shoes. Surely they see more impact with the ground than road cycling shoes!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

applebaconator

by applebaconator

Any other shoes that does not require any gluing?

So far I got:

- Bont Vaypor+ <-- may be really comfortable, but also looks weird.
- Sidi Wire Vent Carbon <-- Heavy and seems overpriced
- Specialized S-Works Road
- Lake CX401 <-- I did not like the fit

Camilo

by Camilo

applebaconator wrote:Any other shoes that does not require any gluing?

So far I got:

- Bont Vaypor+ <-- may be really comfortable, but also looks weird.
- Sidi Wire Vent Carbon <-- Heavy and seems overpriced
- Specialized S-Works Road
- Lake CX401 <-- I did not like the fit

You might check online, but every Sidi shoe I've seen has a replaceable heel pad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

applebaconator,

The Sidi's may be expensive, but their is a very good chance that if you take care of them they will be the last shoe you own. I have over 20 years on mine. When I ride and look at other riders shoes, 9 out of ten times, the only old shoes are sidi. It's always cool to have the new and greatest. But if the Sidi's fit your feet, and you are willing to wait usually you can get the previous years at 50% off. I am such a fan, I bought 10 year old NOS sidi's on ebay for almost as much as 2012 models were.( my back up shoes) :)

C