Top Tube Crack - Super-X Hi-Mod?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tojnom

by tojnom

I was cleaning my Super-X this morning & I noticed a hairline crack in the top tube. It's right down the middle of the tube, about an inch to inch 1/2. I've never wrecked the bike, so I'm little baffled. Does this look like structural damage or just paint?

rijndael

by rijndael

I'm pretty sure I have a mold/seam line on mine, down the middle. It's been there since it was new.

Are you sure it's more than a paint crack? Mine is under the clear coat (there's no paint), and not through it.

I can take a picture of mine tonight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tojnom

by tojnom

Yeah, if you don't mind please post a pic tonight. It's probably just a crack in the paint...I thought it was worth posting to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

emorydptt

by emorydptt

You can try and do an easy test- tap test with a nickel.
Tap the tube with the nickel and the sound should resonate instead of stop abruptly.
I would imagine if there has never trauma to the bike, then it would be non-structural.
Good luck and let us know.
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

rijndael

by rijndael

SuperSix HiMod Evo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tojnom

by tojnom

emorydptt wrote:You can try and do an easy test- tap test with a nickel.
Tap the tube with the nickel and the sound should resonate instead of stop abruptly.
I would imagine if there has never trauma to the bike, then it would be non-structural.
Good luck and let us know.

Nifty little trick...I think it's fine, the tone was not abrupt & it sounded similar to other areas on the top tube. In retrospect, I used a rubber mallet to push out the SI spindle ...it was stuck in the bottom bracket pretty good. Maybe the impact from the mallet caused a slight crack in the paint. Regardless, the crack seems to be superficial so all is good.

Thanks for the tip.