Campagnolo Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sawyer

by sawyer

It's pretty obvious that a wider spoke catches more wind from the side. That said, it's only bothered me in high winds in the mountains where it can be genuinely dangerous.

Stolichnaya - the reason your comment on tyres doesn't hold water is that all you're doing is compromising tyre width and pressure (i.e. aero and crr optimisation) to compensate for the lower vertical compliance of thick alu spoked wheels.

You can have your cake eat it too ...

What's frustrating is that in the Campag parts bin are the constituents of a sublime 14xxg pair of clinchers:

- BU2 hubs and spokes
- Shamal ultra rims (tub, clincher, 2 way)

And yet they don't do it ... and ironically they did more or less with the Eurus Carbon.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

simnorm

by simnorm

FYI Shimano versions are heavier.
My Zondas 2011 or 2012 are closer to 1600g with a shimano freehub (without skewers), not in the sub 1500g at all.
I have the clincher zonda, not the 2-way fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

sawyer wrote:Those are very close weights 585! Mine show c100g difference.

For me at equal cost the Zondas would still better value. Spoke material and thickness are the decisive factors for reasons of comfort and handling in winds.

Yes 2010 seemed to be a good year for Zondas weight wise!
Possibly beefed up latterly to differentiate them from the more expensive Eurus and Shamal.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

simnorm wrote:FYI Shimano versions are heavier.
My Zondas 2011 or 2012 are closer to 1600g with a shimano freehub (without skewers), not in the sub 1500g at all.
I have the clincher zonda, not the 2-way fit.

The HG freehub is much heavier (steel) compared to the Campag version.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Sawyer, I understand your comment, but it it is bringing aero deeper into the discussion of these wheels. Let's face it, the last time someone bought a set of wheels is this segment (Shamal, Euros, Ksyrium, Racing Zero, etc.) for their aero qualities was 1999. They are bricks relative to the current aero wheelsets available. People buy these types of wheelsets (Euros, Zonda, etc.) because they are relatively light, bombproof, good all-rounders with a preference for going up. it was already noted that the aero differences between the Zonda and Shamal are miniscule (from Tour.de). If you are seeking the final few watts of perfomance, you are probably not riding these wheels. So, in a real world setting with uneven roads at non-pro speeds, the use of a 25mm tire is often NOT a compromise, but a performance enhancer. The 2mm width difference betw. 23mm and 25mm rubber will have a negligible difference on wheels that are not optimized to aero. Having said all this, I use 22mm or 23mm Veloflex clinchers on my Shamals and don't note the harshness that others do, even at my weight class (which is sadly and certainly not flyweight...)

I fully agree with you on the component parts of Campagnolo wheels not being properly snapped together. There is an even better wheelset potential there, but they obviously don't read WW.

Did anyone get confirmation of the Neutron Ultra tubular for 2014?

LionelB

by LionelB

Stolichnaya wrote:Did anyone get confirmation of the Neutron Ultra tubular for 2014?

I do not think that there is even a rumor of that. Sadly.

Jersland

by Jersland

I just received a set of 2013 Zonda 2 way fit wheels and they weighed 1539g. Needless to say I was shocked with the weight coming in 31g lighter than claimed.

eurperg

by eurperg

^ mine were 1531 grams, but they were not 2-way fit

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Reviving an old thread, since I've been interested in 1. Zonda as a bang-for-buck wheelset and 2. tubeless.

Question is can you run the clincher version tubeless?
If so, is the 2-way really necessary and/or what do you really get for the extra premium?
Less is more.

veloflyte
in the industry

by veloflyte

thisisatest wrote:I think the machined sections on the Eurus and Shamal are curved, taking a bit more material off and probably aiding aero a bit.
My understanding is that campy picks the lighter extrusions for Shamals vs Eurus as well.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Years ago, it used to be the case for mavic that the first rims out of any new batch were lighter simply because the newly machined extruder plate would produce a thinner lighter rim. As the extruder was used, it produced thicker and heavier rims. So that definitely supports the idea of using the lighter extrusions for the Shamals.
I remember the then team mechanic for ONCE dropping by the Wheelsmith and asking if we had any old Mavic tubular rims. It seems that Laurent Jalabert liked to ride the old light weight Mavic 280 rims. But they hadn't made aluminum rims that light for years.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

shimmeD wrote:Reviving an old thread, since I've been interested in 1. Zonda as a bang-for-buck wheelset and 2. tubeless.

Question is can you run the clincher version tubeless?

No.

If so, is the 2-way really necessary and/or what do you really get for the extra premium?

The ability to use tubeless or clincher tyres.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Thanks Zakalwe.

Absolutely can't run the clincher tubeless?
Or run risk of rim failing? Bearing in mind the 2-way rim is only 10-20g heavier.
Less is more.