Going to smaller frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

The shorter inseam would mean that you are longer in the torso than I am which would dictate that you would more than likely sit lower and that the front end would more than likely need to be lower as well. At you height, the 50cm C dale would probably work better.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

Devon

by Devon

I had a similar issue with my Prefissio, until I did some measuring and found the saddle was a little too far back. Moving it no more than 10mm forward made a massive difference, and the bike now fits like a glove. I have since lowered my stem also for a further improved fit.

I do however usually support going down in frame size, which gives you more adjustability with post/stem/bar sizes and setup. It is however highly subjective. I'd strongly recommend getting a professional bike fit before shelling out on a new frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MJB

by MJB

Another devotee of smaller frame size here.

I'm taller than the OP so shall not discuss measurements in detail here.

I was professionally fitted to a 2008 Giant TCR 'M' sized frame with a 110mm stem and told that was virtually my ideal 'conventional' bike fit.

I struggled to improve my riding and power output on that fit. Tried stem lengths in graduated moves right down to 80mm and found precisely what others here have mentioned - a feeling of skittishness on the front end and a lack of confidence as a result. I'd not use anything shorter than a 90mm stem on a road bike by preference.

Needless to say I sold the frameset after 18 months of little joy and in the subsequent years I've built myself a pair of road bikes with significantly shorter TT lengths and instantly felt better on my bikes and have improved both my riding performance and enjoyment of riding as a result.

About to embark on my 3rd road bike build and will again find a frame with a TT that is a good 20mm-25mm shorter than convention might dictate........

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

guys, here mine #s, do you guys think this falls in the 54TT or 52TT that will give me more flexiblity?
Inseam: 32
Trunk: 24.25
Forearm: 13
Arm: 24.5
Thigh: 24
Lower Leg: 21.5
Sternal Notch: 57
Total Body Height: 69

DaveS

by DaveS

Remember that TT length alone does not determine the reach. I always base my choice of frame size, knowing the reach of my current frame. If there's something that needs changing, a new frame can be selected to do that.

Why ask about a 54 or 52TT? That's a pretty big jump. Most frames only change by 1-1.5cm in TT length between sizes and often far less than that in reach. Also, reach values can't be compared directly, it the stack heights are different.

AGW

by AGW

My measurements are yours, almost down to the decimal. You'll be happier with a 52.

ETA:

Inseam:                32
Trunk:                 26
Forearm:               13
Arm:                   24.5
Thigh:                 23
Lower Leg:             21
Sternal Notch:         56
Total Body Height:     69.25

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

do you guys think i could fit a 56 vs 54, thinking of trying out a 56 RS to ease the bar drop

any thoughts, been fitted few times, this is a personal experiment, thanks

rijndael

by rijndael

I'm 5'8" w/ a 33 inseam. I'm riding a 52cm Cannondale SuperSix EVO w/ 100mm Stem
I have 10.5cm of drop, measured from the midpoint of the saddle to the top of the bar.

I was riding a 54cm CAAD but I couldn't get the seat to BB numbers I needed for proper knee and ankle angles.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

did the 54 put you to far forward or back

rijndael

by rijndael

I wasn't able to push the seat far enough forward.
I'm running the tip of the saddle 3.2cm behind the center of the BB.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

hear you, same here, how about the seat hight, how high do you have it

rijndael

by rijndael

72.2cm from the center of the BB to the midpoint (front to back) of the saddle.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Sounds like you need something with a steep ST angle. Ridley Asteria (can be found many places for cheap right now) or other women's models that don't look womany might work really well for you.

boysa

by boysa

Probably doesn't help, but I'm 5'7" w/ a 32.5" inseam, and I would normally ride 52. I avoided some issues by going custom.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

That seat height seems low for 33" inseam, especially if you have the saddle that far forward. I am 5'-8" and about the same on the inseam and my saddle height is 75.0 up the seat tube. I also have the saddle as far back as it will go and I have a 120mm stem on it. I am however looking to go to a 110, but as far as the saddle goes, I don't think I could go forward.

I could however be completely wrong, but the power it there in this set up, and I also have about the same amount of drop as you.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?