Swisstop black prince pads

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I was wondering if I can use these with Boyd clinchers? I believe it's a gigantex(?) rim
I lost the pads that came with the wheelset. They were not that great though but it was of course recommended to use them together. Recently I found these black prince pads which sounds promising. Anyone have some real world experience with them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coachboyd
in the industry

by coachboyd

You can not use the Black Prince with the carbon clinchers, only the pads that were supplied with the rims as they were made by the rim manufacturer (which is not Gigantex by the way). Which model carbon clinchers do you have and how long ago did you get them and the brake pads? The newest carbon clincher brake pads that we have work pretty well. The 2013 models with the Blue Ice brake pads are some of the nicest braking I have even felt on a carbon rim and that is something I hear from a LOT of people.
http://www.boydcycling.com The Handcrafted Revolution

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

It looks like mine was bought August 2011, can I use your latest pads?

coachboyd
in the industry

by coachboyd

You can not use the Blue Ice, but you can use the carbon clincher pads for 2012 wheels. It will be a pretty big improvement over the pads you had from 2011.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Thanks, maybe losing the old pads was a blessing

I found it ironic you do sell the black prince pads on your site then disclaimer to not use them with your wheels.

coachboyd
in the industry

by coachboyd

PoorCyclist wrote:
I found it ironic you do sell the black prince pads on your site then disclaimer to not use them with your wheels.

They work great for the tubulars where it's not as important to have the absolute specific brake pad. On a carbon tubular the heat issue is not as important as there's not outward pressure from the tire pressing against the hook of the rim.

andyhunter

by andyhunter

swissstop black prince pads are good wet and dry hands downs kicks ass on anything else on the market but the wear rate sucks. I am not going lie stick to yellow king they last far longer but if you have alot of cash to splash your bike shop will be loving you constantly buying the pads.

frohrider

by frohrider

I can second that comment on the wear rate.. if you live in a mountainous area and do lots of decents they wont last too long. Brake performance is better than anything else I did run before, but still not good enough on Mavic Ultimates when wet. On the Gigantex 38mm Rims braking is ok when wet and almost to much when dry (85kg bodyweight - Planet X and Campy Brakes).
Supersix HiMod, Supersix EVO HiMod, Crux, CaadX, Lynskey R330 & Pro29, Yelli Screamy 29

coachboyd
in the industry

by coachboyd

andyhunter wrote: I am not going lie stick to yellow king they last far longer

Yes, but they also get hotter than any other brake pad I've ever seen. Swissstop did their own studies and max temp of the yellow pads was 300degrees Celsius, the Black Prince came in at 170 in the same test.

Irish

by Irish

Buy a set of Black and a set of Yellow, use black in front and yellow in the back :)

OwenJames

by OwenJames

I have these.

They are OK, but squeal and wear extremely fast.

sungod

by sungod

i think the higher wear rate is part of the design - shedding hot pad material during braking keeps the rims cooler

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com