Re lacing Zipp 303, what hub?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nagge

by nagge

I'm thinking of re lacing a pair of 2013 Zipp 303's.
The main reason is to get 2x on both DS and NDS, I assume that is possible with a 24h rear?

My question is what hubs to go for. Could I re-use the 88/188 combo and just change the lacing pattern in the back? Otherwise I'm looking for a easy rolling and reliable set of hubs and have been eyeing the DA 9000 hubs, but have not found many reviews of them, so any opinions? Or are there any other hubs that I should be looking for instead?
SuperSix EVO III Ultegra 8070

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Personally, Alchemy ORC UL Rear 2x, or Tune Mag 170 2x.

Anything that weighs more I don't care for, although CK, White and some others are very good hubs, the extra 50g of weight with those hubs makes no sense when there are lower weight, solid hubs that will build up a good stiff wheel for the same price about.
Last edited by Zigmeister on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

What Zigmeister said. You won't be able to run the Zipp hubs with anything but the stock lacing pattern. Any of the hubs mentioned would be capable of going 2x both sides. I'd say go for the T11s. I know this is Weight Weenies though and that hub is relatively heavy. If you like the placebo effect of lighter weight hubs though go with the Mag 170 or ORC.

Doolop

by Doolop

I think a real winning choice would be a DT Swiss 240. Pretty light and probably the most reliable and serviceable of the 24h hubs out there. Downside is they are somewhat pricey- but so are the other options listed here.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

^Not a bad choice either. Reliable, known product etc..but my only issues with that hub is: 30-50g more weight compared to Tune/Alchemy, with shorter flange spacing, making for a slightly less solid build possibly/likely.

I put that hub in the same category as CK, White and a few others out there.

Can't go wrong really with it. The DT240s have mostly stayed unchanged for many years now and are reliable, easy to service and finding local parts at a good bike shop is usually possible.

rmerka

by rmerka

I just rebuilt my 202's with DT 240's and aerolight spokes, front/18 and rear/24. Front radial and rear 2X on both sides. The rear wheel is noticeably stiffer and I couldn't be happier how they turned out.

LeviR

by LeviR

That was a great project Russ.

I was going to do the same for my Zipp 303 but changed my mind. I am going with Enve rims.

wickedwheels

by wickedwheels

nagge wrote:I'm thinking of re lacing a pair of 2013 Zipp 303's.
The main reason is to get 2x on both DS and NDS, I assume that is possible with a 24h rear?

My question is what hubs to go for. Could I re-use the 88/188 combo and just change the lacing pattern in the back? Otherwise I'm looking for a easy rolling and reliable set of hubs and have been eyeing the DA 9000 hubs, but have not found many reviews of them, so any opinions? Or are there any other hubs that I should be looking for instead?

Anything but Zipp.

Alchemy is solid. DT, of course. I like hubs that can be swapped from Shimano to Campy easily, just in case I need to flip the wheelset.

Stoo

by Stoo

My shop re-laced my rear 303 FC with a new powertap G3 this summer and used a 2x pattern both sides.

Seems good so far.

Used CX rays again too.
'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I did a 303 with a Royce Venus hub silver spokes, polished hub and carbon rim looked quite good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com