record vs super record

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tippster

by Tippster

I'm building a new bike and have been away from this site for a few years and my understanding of the option is a little outdated to say the least.

My new ride will be Super Record 11sp

I wanted to know in what areas e.g. chainset / brakes / front mech etc, its best to go super record and in which areas you can get away with a cheaper either record 10sp, or record 11sp option that is almost the same quality / weight and a fraction of the price.

thanks in advance.

Tippster
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

rustychain

by rustychain

Record and Super Record are very close. SR BB gets you cult bearings, worth it IMO for durability alone. You can also save some weight with the Ti BB option. Frankly I doubt you will notice much else between them. I run SR for reasons that reflect a personality disorder more then a real need. FYI there is no SR chain. I prefer the R cassettes over the SR due to durability. Get the R brake calipers or better go EE brakes.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Simon BP

by Simon BP

as far as I know, there is no difference performance-wise between Record and Super Record. The difference is purely cosmetic and weight(SR have more titanium parts than the Record)
In durability, the biggest difference is in the casette(as mentioned) as it has 4 titanium cogs in the SR compared to the two titanium cogs in the Record. And titanium cogs wear out faster than steel ones.
And then does SR have ceramic bearings in the pulleywheels and crank, which are also more durable than steel, and have less friction than regular steel bearings.

LionelB

by LionelB

If you want the look of SR and save cost: SR crankset, shifters, RD. Chorus for the rest.

There is no functional difference between SR/record/chorus

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Welcome back tippy!

Sent from my HTC.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

ChrisRM

by ChrisRM

In my humble opinion, if you want/can afford SR why bother getting other cheaper bits into the mix? If you're on a budget go Chorus etc. if not, get SR!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

SR are for people who don't dig corrosion.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

ChrisRM wrote:In my humble opinion, if you want/can afford SR why bother getting other cheaper bits into the mix? If you're on a budget go Chorus etc. if not, get SR!

I agree... nothing wrong if you feel like mixing, but aesthetically I prefer seeing all SR, or all Record, or all Chorus over a Super Record this, and a Chorus that etc. They all work superbly.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Tippster

by Tippster

Thanks for the helpful resplies and also thanks to Frankie-B for the warm welcome back.

To summarise the posts so far

SR cranks have the ceramic bearing

R brake calipers better than CR calipers or just simular and cheaper?

SR rear mech is worth getting for the ceramic bearings

R cassette more durable, cheaper but heavier than SR

any other tips?
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Cashman

by Cashman

One more tip Buy Sram Red or Di2. Cheaper to maintain.

Also I only use Yaban chains. YBN SFL 101-DHA (10 spd chain)
Cashman
Baum Corretto - Sram eTap (until I can get 12s Dura ace
Kavenz VHP16 - XT 12s
Revel Rascal- XTR 12s

tommasini

by tommasini

I always get a laugh when others - based on personal motives or simple ignorance - try to hijack a thread for some perceived form of self gain or self satisfaction....... :evil: If they really have some alternative ideas to contribute then my suggestion is that they should start a thread of their own........ :noidea:

Cashman wrote:One more tip Buy Sram Red or Di2. Cheaper to maintain. Also I only use Yaban chains. YBN SFL 101-DHA (10 spd chain)

Cashman

by Cashman

tommasini wrote:I always get a laugh when others - based on personal motives or simple ignorance - try to hijack a thread for some perceived form of self gain or self satisfaction....... :evil: If they really have some alternative ideas to contribute then my suggestion is that they should start a thread of their own........ :noidea:

Cashman wrote:One more tip Buy Sram Red or Di2. Cheaper to maintain. Also I only use Yaban chains. YBN SFL 101-DHA (10 spd chain)

Dude....If you're having a go at me :?: ....go get a mirror and take a good hard look at yourself and ask if life really should be as serious as you're making it :noidea: ....then give yourself an upper cut....no wonder most of the world think Americans are arseholes. Its because of arrogant pigs like you.............(If not have a nice day :D )
Cashman
Baum Corretto - Sram eTap (until I can get 12s Dura ace
Kavenz VHP16 - XT 12s
Revel Rascal- XTR 12s

cryoplasm

by cryoplasm

laager is a gifted troll. I'm sure he's been banned here before only to reregister again.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

laager wrote:
cryoplasm wrote:
It's pretty sad.

Yes, sad. . .

Anywho, the only SR parts that I think might be worthy of using are the RD and the new Ti Cranks. The brake calipers and FD are only 1 or 2 ti bolts away from being exactly like record. The shifters work the same as record with only a slight weight savings (heck, they work the same as Chorus and are very nearly the same weight).

I personally think Campy stuff is best with a mixed up group.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

laager wrote:
cryoplasm wrote:laager is a gifted troll. I'm sure he's been banned here before only to reregister again.

That's interesting. You've sought out other threads in order to have a shot at me for some perceived slight in a completely different thread.

You, Sir, need to get a life. The fact that you have been identified by a few people recently for your completely inane and argumentative posting practices should signal something in your brain. However, because you don't actually possess a brain you've taken to trolling the forum itself looking for a way to attack people. The fact that you picked a thread where your post is so out of place and indefensible it stands out like a sore thumb is hardly surprising.

It's pretty sad.

Take it easy please mate.

I've seen enough advice from cryo to feel he's a lot better than how you're looking to portray him.

Please take any further differences to PM.