Planet X Ultra Light CNC/Forged brakes - weights & opinions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Here are my CNC version weighed without pads.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I've narrowed my brake options to these three because they're all similar in weight and price. Even though they're older versions, I'm considering the CB1 because they're compatible with Powercordz Swifts, and it would be the lightest overall setup.

So I would like to get some feedback on the overall performance of these brakes, and which might be the best option. I'm 100kg and where I ride is mostly flat. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimmS

by TimmS

To be honest, I wouldn't go with any of those brakes, also considering your weight.
Save some money and buy something that actually will stop you.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Really, none of these brakes will stop me? I know that the KCNCs can be flexy.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I can only provide a data point for the C7 (75kg and living in the Alps). You can ride all the descents, even with carbon rims, but when it's raining you have to be really careful and go slowly. You would not like to race them in the rain. For training and general riding around, they are ok, though.

One thing about them is that the bushing seize up over time, at least in my climate. So they don't open back up all the way. Don't read that as critique, though. They are very light, relatively affordable, and those are the compromises.

TimmS

by TimmS

I've ridden both KCNC C7 and Ciamillo Zero Gravity (70 kg and flat roads).
Of those two I preffered the Zero Gravity, as those are the "original" lightweight brakes, I don't know about the GSL.

The C7 brakes are very flexible, I changed them after 3 rides.

Both are nowhere compared to the EE and M5 brakes I use at the moment.

964Cup

by 964Cup

CNC weighed exactly as claimed. Looked good too.

Unfortunately they weren't actually much good as brakes. The difference between these and Ultegra 6700 calipers, even with Swisstop pads in the PXs and regular Shimano pads in the 6700s, was night and day. I'm now running 7900 with stock Shimano pads and would never go back, despite the additional 97g.

DiscoBoy

by DiscoBoy

My forged pair:

NGMN

by NGMN

Hey Drainyoo, I'd search the other threads on these brakes for more opinions, lots of happy riders. I just received a TT frameset that came with one of the forged brakes stock on the rear and its a very good brake in my opinion in terms of power. The setup is a bit more finnicky than normal but once you get it setup it works well.

I'm coming from TRP 920s which had similar power but were easier to setup and adjust.

Estelja

by Estelja

On the bike I just built for a neighbor we used the forged version. They were 243g and used on traditional width rims. They stop very well, I was impressed.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

NGMN wrote:Hey Drainyoo, I'd search the other threads on these brakes for more opinions, lots of happy riders. I just received a TT frameset that came with one of the forged brakes stock on the rear and its a very good brake in my opinion in terms of power. The setup is a bit more finnicky than normal but once you get it setup it works well.

I'm coming from TRP 920s which had similar power but were easier to setup and adjust.

Thanks. I actually sold my Planet X brakes and I'm getting the KCNC C7s. I know that they're flexy, but I live in a pretty flat area.