HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:37 pm 

I have a 2008 Scott Addict with the shimano integrated BB. I Currently have dura ace 7900 and I would like to know if the FSA K Force light SRM will work with the existing shimano cups or do I need to get the FSA BB86 cups? Also what is the difference between the stainless steel FSA bb86 and the ceramic FSA bb86?

I'm lost and all the bike shops around here have no ideas for me. before I pull the crankset I would like to know what I need... any help is appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:48 pm 

I can sort of answer your question as run SRM FSA K-Force Light powermeter on my TCR Advanced SL. First, the main difference between the FSA BB86 press fit bearing adapters and the Shimano press-fit adapters is the width of the bearings as well as the external width when installed. The FSA K-Force Light cranls use 6mm wide bearings versus 7mm wide bearings for Shimano. The result of this is that if you attempt to use the Shimano press-fit bearing adapters with the K-Force crankset, there will not be enough clearance of the spindle to properly torque the non-drive side crankarm which will cause to much pre-load and the cranks will bind before reaching proper torque.

I know this first hand having gotten curious and I tried installing the SRM using first Shimano's press-fit bearing adapter ans well as Enduro's Ceramic press-fit adapters with no success. I even tried swapping the FSA ceramic bearings from an old FSA Press-Fit adapter into a Shimano sleeve which did not work either.
I'm lost and all the bike shops around here have no ideas for me. before I pull the crankset I would like to know what I need... any help is appreciated!

As for the difference between the stainless steel FSA bb86 and the ceramic FSA bb86, if you are getting these from SRM, I think the main difference aside from ceramic versus non-ceramic are silver versus red annodization of the press-fit adapter sleeves and $125 US.

Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:48 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:01 pm 

Thanks for that response... I guess I'll just get the FSA bb86 bb and hope it works

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:48 pm 

Michael, think you can try Enduro :

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/index.html

They probably have the correct type of bearings you're looking for. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:56 pm 

I tried the enduro BB86 press fit and that uses a plastic insert similar to shimano and 7mm wide bearings which are two wide for the FSA K-Force Light crankset. Also, the inner diameter of the enduro ceramics was a Micron too small as I could not get the FSA spindle inserted without what seemed like what would amount to a lot of brute force.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:13 am 

ms6073 wrote:
I tried the enduro BB86 press fit and that uses a plastic insert similar to shimano and 7mm wide bearings which are two wide for the FSA K-Force Light crankset. Also, the inner diameter of the enduro ceramics was a Micron too small as I could not get the FSA spindle inserted without what seemed like what would amount to a lot of brute force.

You need to get the 6805N bearings in that case. Those are the 6805 bearings with a 6mm with instead of the standard 7mm.

If Enduro doesn't sell them, perhaps you can try extracting them from Shimano DA 7800/ 7900 BB cups ? I've taken apart a 7900 bearing recently, and yes, you can extract the required bearings of those.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:15 pm 

How did you guys knock out the shimano cups from the frame? I don't have that fancy tool from park and I don't want to use too much force here. any tips?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:59 am 

gn1tmac wrote:
How did you guys knock out the shimano cups from the frame? I don't have that fancy tool from park and I don't want to use too much force here. any tips?

Enduro sells a bearing removal tool for external bearing cups like those used for Hollowtech II.. Its the easiest way to remove bearings from those cups, though pretty expensive to buy one if you do not intend to use it more than a few times.

http://www.superflycycles.com/servlet/- ... ool/Detail

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:58 pm 

maxxevv wrote:
You need to get the 6805N bearings in that case. Those are the 6805 bearings with a 6mm with instead of the standard 7mm.

Enduro does have 6805N bearings but the FSA bearings have a special recess on the inner bore that the black plastic bearing cover snaps into. This is different from the bearings FSA uses in the external bearing MegaExo bottom brackets.

maxxevv wrote:
perhaps you can try extracting them from Shimano DA 7800/ 7900 BB cups ? I've taken apart a 7900 bearing recently, and yes, you can extract the required bearings of those.

The problem with the trying to use Shimano press-fit adapters with FSA MegaExo cranks (not a problem with Gossamer/Energy) is not just a difference in the bearings, the Shimano adapters has a wider foot print (~1-2mm) per side than the FSA press-fit adapters and even with the wave spring washers, the FSA MegaExo cranks can be problematic if there is not enough splines exposed on the spindle where it exits the bottom bracket.

gn1tmac wrote:
How did you guys knock out the shimano cups from the frame?

The Shimano cups are made of delrin plastic which I have found can be pressed in by hand and should not take much effort in order to remove them. If that is not the case, you could use a 6" long 3/8" or 1/2" diameter extension from a socket set (I use a ~3/8/2" diameter brass drift), insert the end of the shaft through the opening in the bearing on one side of the bottom bracket so it sits against the back of the opposing press-fit adapter and then gently tap on the shaft with a rubber mallet and the press-fit adapter should slide out very easily.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:09 am 

Here is the problem I'm dealing with now... any suggestions?

Attachments:
bb86.JPG
bb86.JPG [ 79.87 KiB | Viewed 1114 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:11 pm 

Yes, I used FSA's wave spring washer between the crankarm and the bearing face.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:33 am 

OK can someone put me out of my misery?

I have just purchased a Giant Propel and I want to use my SRM FSA K-Force Light but I'm not sure what bottom bracket I need.

I suspect all of these following candidate may work but I'm not certain:

These
http://www.wiggle.com.au/fsa-bb86-beari ... 60430838au

BB-CF86
http://ww3.tbe.com.au/products/fsa-comp ... b8/170804/

and BB-CF86C which is the Ceramic version
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FSA-CERAMIC- ... 3a8d45e51c

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:37 am 

Cheetahmk7 wrote:
I suspect all of these following candidate may work but I'm not certain:

These
http://ww3.tbe.com.au/products/fsa-comp ... b8/170804/

and BB-CF86C which is the Ceramic version
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FSA-CERAMIC- ... 3a8d45e51c

As you probably have found out, the SRM K-Force Light spindle is slightly different diameter than Shimano thus you have to use FSA's bottom bracket. So to answer your question, yes, all will work but the two I delrin models I left in the quote above are going to be the best options since I got the impression Giant went to an all carbon bottom bracket shell with the latest Propel and TCR Advanced models.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:37 am