HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:52 am 

Causidicus wrote:
ferrarista wrote:
The old interface is not compatible with the new battery because the new battery has no led to show the state of charge since it was designed to be installed internally. That feature is now on the new v2 interface. You can use the new v2 interface with the older battery though.

That is odd because the technical documents do not show the need for a new interface unit. Then again, it is Campagnolo we are talking about...

I don't know about the technical documents, but if you use the old dti with the new battery, you won't be able to know the charge remaining to your battery.

edit: my bad. It was the diagnostics led. You are right that the charge is seen with the interface led and not the battery. battery led on the old battery is for diagnostics only.

Last edited by ferrarista on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:08 am 

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:08 am 
  • 6.00 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 901 components by Campagnolo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:41 am 

OK, let's clear this up. Sorry to contradict you Causidicus, but your info is unfortunately incorrect.

I am 100% certain about the following having spoken with the guys at Campagnolo in Italy.

1) You definitely need a V2 charger. This is nothing to do with anything as sophisticated as charging indication. The voltage is the same, yes, but it is as simple as the fact that the connector is different. Since the connector is at the end of a fixed cable that comes from the main 'box' of the charger, it is not replaceable. Therefore, you need a V2 charger. It is like when Apple changed the connector between the iPhone 4 and 5 (except you can't buy an adapter for a few cents off eBay - you need to spend $100 on a new charger). Grrrr!

2) You don't necessarily need a V2 interface unit, but you might want to buy one for 2 reasons. Other than these 2 reasons, it will function perfectly well. Firstly, since the diagnostics will no longer be housed in the battery because it is hidden in the frame, the diagnostic LEDs are now housed in the V2 interface. You can therefore either forgo the onboard diagnostics and not buy a V2 interface, or you can benefit from the onboard diagnostics and buy a V2 interface. Diagnostics will still be available by plugging a computer into the V2 battery, it is just that the battery itself won't have the LEDs. The V2 power connector also has a data stream, not just power. In reality, the V1 diagnostics simply showed where in the system the problem was, not specifically what the problem was, or how to fix it. Its use was therefore limited anyway. Secondly, to benefit from the new software changes you need the V2 interface unit. There have been some problems with the early front mechs losing their memory and over shifting and the distance by which the rear mech over shifts slightly to shift gear is variable in V2 depending on which cog you are in at the back which the firmware fixes solve. You cannot simply update the software on the V1 interface (as I pointed out in a previous post, this is one of the areas where V2 EPS lags behind V2 Di2). If you haven't experienced problems, you might not want to bother. I personally have not, and for what a new interface will cost, I am at least going to try not replacing it at first.

3) There are only 2 ways to charge the internal battery. Firstly to run the charging extension cable up the seat tube and remove your seatpost every time you want to charge and fish the cable out. Secondly to either buy a frame with the third hole pre-drilled (curently only Pinarello), or drill a third hole yourself. Contrary to what you might have seen, and contrary to what would have been a great solution, the charger port is not the second bottle boss. It is categorically a third hole. Campagnolo recently uploaded the technical videos to youtube. Watch these for absolute confirmation. Also, look at the battery. It has 4 cables coming from the bottom. 1 - to the interface. 2 - to the front mech. 3 - to the rear mech. 4 - the power cable. It would be impossible since the battery is flush against the inside of the seattube inside to run this cable through the same hole as one of the bottle bosses.

4) With regards to the charging status, the V1 interface will still show the charging status through a series of green and red LEDs using the existing functionality, just as it currently does. Also, since the trigger to stop charging is housed in the charger itself, there will be no loss of function by not buying a V2 interface.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:11 pm 
Shop Owner

Thanks for the great explanation of the v2 components. Now I just need to think about what is best for me, cause I know the v2 battery is.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:20 pm 

I wish they'd make a cheaper cassette option than Chorus.
I have 3 sets of wheels (1 clincher training, one shallow carbon and one deep carbon)
obviously all 3 have different uses but I can't afford to be changing cassettes every year or so at £80 being the cheapest.
Currently I have one super record cassette and one chorus cassette so only have the option of two sets of wheels at a time.
Shimano have made a cheapish one with ultegra why can't campag?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:06 pm 

solarider wrote:
OK, let's clear this up. Sorry to contradict you Causidicus, but your info is unfortunately incorrect.

I am 100% certain about the following having spoken with the guys at Campagnolo in Italy.

1) You definitely need a V2 charger.

2) You don't necessarily need a V2 interface unit, but you might want to buy one for 2 reasons. Other than these 2 reasons, it will function perfectly well. Firstly, since the diagnostics will no longer be housed in the battery because it is hidden in the frame, the diagnostic LEDs are now housed in the V2 interface. You can therefore either forgo the onboard diagnostics and not buy a V2 interface, or you can benefit from the onboard diagnostics and buy a V2 interface. Diagnostics will still be available by plugging a computer into the V2 battery, it is just that the battery itself won't have the LEDs. The V2 power connector also has a data stream, not just power. In reality, the V1 diagnostics simply showed where in the system the problem was, not specifically what the problem was, or how to fix it. Its use was therefore limited anyway. Secondly, to benefit from the new software changes you need the V2 interface unit. There have been some problems with the early front mechs losing their memory and over shifting and the distance by which the rear mech over shifts slightly to shift gear is variable in V2 depending on which cog you are in at the back which the firmware fixes solve. You cannot simply update the software on the V1 interface (as I pointed out in a previous post, this is one of the areas where V2 EPS lags behind V2 Di2). If you haven't experienced problems, you might not want to bother. I personally have not, and for what a new interface will cost, I am at least going to try not replacing it at first.

4) With regards to the charging status, the V1 interface will still show the charging status through a series of green and red LEDs using the existing functionality, just as it currently does. Also, since the trigger to stop charging is housed in the charger itself, there will be no loss of function by not buying a V2 interface.

Good post Solarider. I had the charge and diagnostics mixed up. I spoke again to the tech guy at campy canada and he said exactly what you said.

He confirmed that you need a new charger for the new battery. They still haven`t received the new battery as it hasn`t shipped yet. As soon as they get them, he will try the old interface with the new battery.

A good improvement on the new battery is that you can now adjust individually the front derailleur for the big and small chainring. The old battery you can`t do that.

Its gonna be a nightmare for some shops installing the new battery internally. need to buy more tools, etc... I can`t believe they didn`t think to put a charge port on the new interface.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:26 pm 

brearley wrote:
I have 3 sets of wheels (1 clincher training, one shallow carbon and one deep carbon)
obviously all 3 have different uses but I can't afford to be changing cassettes every year or so at £80 being the cheapest.
Currently I have one super record cassette and one chorus cassette so only have the option of two sets of wheels at a time.

Are all these 10-speed? If not, then eleven can use just about any brand cassette. Check out Velonews. L Zinn did a test.

HUMP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:02 pm 

Tech documents for over-torque are up on the campag website:

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/do ... _07_13.pdf

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/do ... _07_13.pdf

Sheds some light on composition of parts and tools

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:11 pm 

I wonder what's the weight of BB PF30.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:41 pm 

Claimed weight of bearings and cups is 54g ( although photo seems to be bearings and bb30 spacers only) http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/groups ... atid_3.jsp

Comp Ultra version of cranks 563g claimed
http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/groups ... atid_3.jsp

Comp One version 605g
http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/newsde ... atid_3.jsp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:41 pm 

For me the most interesting part of the setup is the play recovery system. Anyone had any experience with any similar systems? Views on likely effectiveness vs wavy washer and shims to take up play?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:25 am 

The internal battery spotted in the wild for the first time. Note the rubber watch strap thing around the seat tube. That's the new on/off switch. With the strap on, the battery is turned off (like inserting the magnet on the V1 battery). So, when you ride, there's no need for the strap at all.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/ ... way/281604" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by solarider on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:40 am 

strap on, power off ......or strap on, power on?.....oo err???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:25 pm 

Strap on, power off. It works just like the magnet on the external battery (DTI v1)

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:25 pm 
  • 6.00 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 901 components by Campagnolo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:08 am 

Completely agree with this.. campag 11-speed systems are pretty expensive to maintain :(
brearley wrote:

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next