2014 Campagnolo groups?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Wingnut, but why? That would risk cutting into their wheelset sales, no? It may make sense for us, but not for the bottom line...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I wouldn't expect a massive production run but Shimano still does it and Campag's hub design isn't out of date yet. All that would be required is different hub bodies, I would buy them as I think hubs such as DT, Chris King are over priced...for the price they are at the moment I'd rather their quality than the cheap generic hubs out of Asia...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

virenque wrote:maybe a bb386 system, willier and other italian maker seems to be moving towards that system

Wilier stated at their product launch last month that Campag have 386Evo cranks ready to be realeased. But then, they said last year that Campag had one almost ready, so pinch of salt.

petal666

by petal666

ultyguy wrote:Would be wicked to bring back neutron ultra tubbies, got 2 sets of the older version and they're fantastic.

My favourite wheels. Not the lightest around but metal braking surface on long descents isn't bad.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I just wish Campa would take care of the problem of tire-mounting on the (non-tubular) Neutron Ultra's.

Lewis

by Lewis

Matt finish would be sweet. Thats the only thing I dont like on my athena groupo. Oh and the fact it creaks a lot and my chain ring creaks whenever im in the large ring....poo!
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Finally we're able to officially share 2014 Campag info, details posted: http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topi ... o-details/

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Thanks for the info madcow, trying to get my head around the new crank sets..

By the way, corrected the spelling error in the title... it was driving me crazy.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

spartan

by spartan

the weight of the chainset includes the bb bearings?

2013 std titanium cranks weight from campy site

Standard:
length: 170, 172.5, 175, 177,5, 180 mm - combination: 39-52, 39-53

length: 170, 172.5, 175 mm - combination: 42-54, 42-55-584 g

include the outboard cups

ITA, ENG-45 g

total weight is 630....

so the new cranks are 10grams lighter only instead of 50 ???
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

philipBer

by philipBer

does someone know if it is possible to "upgrade" a existing Super Record EPS group to the new internal battery?

solarider

by solarider

It will be possible to upgrade. That's why there is an Athena and Record version.

I had worried that they would standardise the cable connectors like Shimano did, and that the newer Athena style connectors would prevail, leaving the Record style connectors obsolete, but that is not the case.

The only implication is that in order to miniaturise the battery, and in order to internalise it, some of the diagnostics that are currently housed in the battery will now move to a new version of the control unit on your handlbars. You have 2 choices. Firstly to buy a new control box along with your new battery so that you get all of the diagnistics still. Secondly, use the existing one, but lose the onboard fault diagnositcs.

Can anybody explain how the over torque (terrible name for a great product!) cranks attach and adjust? The hirst link has clearly gone, and the non drive side arm is loose, but it looks yet another tool will be needed, and not sure how you will remove them. Interesting that they have gone for USB instead of CULT bearings, and interesting that they are not groupset aligned in terms of naming. Thoughts a new Super Dooper Record in 2015? They are keeping something back here!

Ritterview

by Ritterview

madcow wrote:Finally we're able to officially share 2014 Campag info, details posted:

I am trying to figure out this crankset. Is it a 3 piece, similar to the Cannondale Si, only with an integrated spider/crank arm?

Edit:
In looking over the Campagnolo patents, perhaps this 2008 patent has some bearing on the new design.

Permon

by Permon

Ritterview wrote:
madcow wrote:Finally we're able to officially share 2014 Campag info, details posted:

I am trying to figure out this crankset. Is it a 3 piece, similar to the Cannondale Si, only with an integrated spider/crank arm?

I doubt it is a 3 piece desing. See the right crank arm, it is threaded on the spindle. I am pretty much sure it is threaded from the production (I think the current Ultra Torque is threaded)
The question is about the left arm.....there is some difference, no thread on the spindle and there is some "nut" fixing the arm on the spindle.
Strange they had to abandon the hirth joint....I think it is because of aluminium spindle (it is probably not strong enough to handle such conection while being lower weight than steel/titanium....?)
Who knows, maybe there is still hirth joint, it is just not shown in the pic.... ?

As pointed out before it is also strange why there is not CULT bearings :?: They run super smooth on the Super Record cranks, much better then USB on the Record ones :|
Maybe the larger diameter of the bearings plays some role?

sigismond0

by sigismond0

With the switch to BB30 on the cranks, it looks like a one-piece aluminum spindle without any joint (like most other BB30). Based on the picture, it looks like the drive side is threaded and permanently fixed, but the NDS looks awfully funny. I assume its some sort of self-extracting bolt, but I can't make heads or tails of it form the picture.

natiedean24

by natiedean24

Thanks fairwheelbikes for the information! Campy's solutions often seem comprehensive, but unnecessarily complex. The thing that catches my eye is the 7.2mm hole for a charging port. Compared to Shimano's new solution (charge into the handlebar control box) this seems silly.

Do they still require three separate wires to go to the battery (from each derailleur and from the control box)? This also seems like a step back from shimano. If mounted externally, I would much rather have only one wire to route out of the frame to the battery paired with an internal junction box.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com