What bars / stem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrfish

by mrfish

Just noticed my 3t Ergosum Team bars have developed a crack beside the stem, despite using a torque wrench for all assembly, tightening bolts up in stages 1, 3, 2, 4 and only torquing to about 3.5NM not the 5NM written on the side. Grrrr.

Should I replace them or try something different? I'd like something else with the same similar drop, flat hood transition and about 5-10mm less reach. Also happy to look at an integrated bar and stem. I tried Rotundos before but didn't like them, but have not tried Erogonovas. Are there other alternatives?

Bar / Reach mm / Drop mm
Ergosum / 89 / 128
Ergonova / 77 / 123
Rotundo 83 / 139

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmp

by dmp

Easton EC90SLX 3- reach 75mm, drop 130mm

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Enve Road Bar- 5 year warranty, and only 190 grams.

em3

by em3

mrfish, what stem are you mating with your 3T carbon bars? I ask, only because 3T stems are known for having faceplates that are not round, leading to the crushing that you describe even with moderate torque settings (I have experienced it myself, even with alum bars). May need to check your faceplate or move on to another stem.
EM3

PS- the torque value stamped on side of your stem is MAX torque for bolts, not recommended torque linked to mating of the two components

mrfish

by mrfish

Will take a look at the stem faceplate as it is an arx team. Actually the bars have 5.5nm max written underneath while the stem says max 5nm so 3.5 to 4nm should be fine no?

Is there a zipp or pro bar which would work? I was tempted by the pro all in one bars, but they are heavy.

Rick

by Rick

Ritchey has a good selection of shallow/short bars in both carbon and aluminum.

mrfish, what stem are you mating with your 3T carbon bars? I ask, only because 3T stems are known for having faceplates that are not round, leading to the crushing that you describe even with moderate torque settings (I have experienced it myself, even with alum bars). May need to check your faceplate or move on to another stem.

I can corroborate that the 3T ARX faceplate is not round and causes pinching. I tried honing mine out to "rounder" but eventually switched to the Ritchey C260

Getter

by Getter

Had a 3T Arx stem with an out-of-round face plate too. Put some nice bite marks in my Easton EC90 bar. Ended up tossing the bar and stem for a Zipp SC CSL bar and stem.

I don't think I'll ever go back to a carbon bar again. I could not tell the difference in ride when going from a carbon bar to aluminum. I'll sacrifice the weight for some durability.

dog

by dog

Getter wrote:I don't think I'll ever go back to a carbon bar again. I could not tell the difference in ride when going from a carbon bar to aluminum. I'll sacrifice the weight for some durability.

That was my sentiment in 2008. I've come full circle now in considering yet again a carbon bar. But which one? The Zipps appear over-rated to me but would most appropriately suit a contemporary bike due to their somewhat "modern" introduction.

project3

by project3

Avoid deda 35mm. Not possible to mount garmin new mount or the k-edge garmin mount. No plug on aerobar. Expensive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Holy thread revival Batman! Mr. Fish, what did you decide to do? I also very carefully torque my ergosum to only about 4nm and use paste. I've printed two sets of bars despite my careful wrenching. Grrrrr indeed. I'm thinking of going with the alloy ergosum. What say you weight weenies, is alloy as comfortable as carbon? I ride mostly gloveless so I'd continue with carbon if it were a noticeable difference.
Colnago e Campagnolo