HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:42 pm 

From Cyclingnews.com

Italian component maker 3T met some last-minute resistance to its Brezza time trial aerobars during the recent Tour of California, when the sport's governing body, the International Cycling Union (UCI), introduced an aero 'form factor' rule, nearly thwarting the 3T-sponsored Felt and Cervélo bikes ridden by Christian Vande Velde, David Zabriskie, Carlos Sastre and Thor Hushovd.

As a result, 3T has tweaked its Ventus and Brezza model designs, while adding two affordable options, the Mistral and Zefiro.

"In February, we were about to freeze the design of these new bars and commit to production," said 3T chief executive René Wiertz. "Then the row over aerodynamics blew up at the Tour of California. Our new bars were engineered to the same aerodynamic principles as the Brezza, which was already fitted to the Cervélo and Garmin-Slipstream TT bikes.

"Brezza clearly doesn't comply with UCI rule 1.3.024, but we were able to re-engineer the designs for the Mistral and Zefiro in time," he added. "We're pulling out all the stops to get them into production, so quite soon teams should be able to specify a made-for-purpose aerobar that's fully UCI-legal."

The Mistral bars resemble the Brezzas, ridden by Zabriskie in California. 3T has positioned the bars a lower price point (US$300 for the Pro edition), largely built of carbon fibre composites. Mistral has multiple elbow-pad mountings in the top skin of the base bar. Together with a new 'deep-S' extension option, this entry-level base bar affords a wide range of adjustment. It also meets the UCI's recently clarified rules on aerodynamic 'form factor', so can legally be used in any UCI event, according to the company.

"Time was very short to re-engineer these new bars," 3T technical director Richard McAinsh added. "But we are well equipped to do this. 3T has what is probably the industry's most advanced platform for rapid prototyping and stress-testing of cycle components.

"This experience shows that we can quickly and effectively engineer 3T components to the exact requirements of any code or rider."

For more information, visit www.thenew3t.com

Looking for a Garmin Edge Out-Front mount, click here !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:51 pm 

Does anyone know if the Missile flat carbon TT aerobar straight by PRO will become illegal?

Post subject:
Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:51 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:33 pm 

Sorry to awaken an old thread, but I'm interested in building a UCI legal tt bike for next season. What are the fastest UCI legal aerobars now available (e.g., USE Tula)?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:21 pm 

From the very limited data I've seen, the USE Tula and the Old Easton attacks are pretty good UCI legal bars.

Probably the biggest thing to remember with aerobars is that because they only see wind from strait ahead, shape doesn't have much of an effect on performance, but frontal area is a big factor.

Keeping that in mind, bars with a narrow basebar grip(the Tula and Old Attack were both 38cm), thin wing section(15mm is good) and the extensions in line with the basebar seem to be the best choice.

I'm not sure about the new Brezza but the Aura and Mistral each have wing sections no thinner than 20mm at their thinnest point.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:01 pm 

I don't see why that PRO bar wouldn't be UCI legal.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:18 am 

I thought I had read somewhere that the Easton Attack (one-piece carbon) was not going to be UCI legal? It would be a great option if it works. The one piece has to be one of the lightest tt cockpits available (~360g). It appears that the new Attack model has removable extensions with a bit of a weight penalty for the added adjustability.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:36 am 

can someone please point me in the right direction?

I am looking for the ruling on the above old easton TT attack bars - I just dont want a stupid idiot UCI rule from ending in tears at nationals.....

http://animegaonootoko.cocolog-nifty.co ... c_0003.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:04 am 

I measure mine at about 3.1:1, so I wouldn't risk it. The newer adjustable ones (2010 onward) are UCI legal.

Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:04 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:48 pm 

yeah that is what I thought!!!.... where do they measure exactly? I am even thinking of adding a layer of CF to make it thicker just to appease these morons.... I wish they would realise that a mm of bar thickness does nothing in the overall for low speed aero.... urrgghhhh

:(