Crankset Crisis - Arms No Longer Align

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

We are talking Stronglight Fission ActivLink ...

http://www.stronglight.com/stronglight/ ... onTItriple" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which is not that different from GigaXPipe ...

http://www.parktool.com/uploads/images/ ... ativ_3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The splines are standard ISIS ones, and after a recent check the crank arms no longer align. Misalignment is of the order of a few mm and is easily noticable. And no, it is not simply the case that the splines are interlocked wrong.

And thoughts you kind people?
Last edited by Valbrona on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deek

by deek

Sounds like your spindle yielded.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Baffled. No sign of any yielding or defect. Both the cap with the holes for the pin spanner on the DS and the same on the NDS are securely bonded into the crank arms, and the axle seems securely threaded and bionded into the DS crank.

Had it for over a year. Surely I would have noticed if it came out of the box like this.

Rick

by Rick

With cranks horizontal, stomp down on both sides at the same time; then rotate 180° and try again. Do you feel (or see) any motion ?

When my EC90 cranks' spindle debonded from the spider this is how it was most obvious.
Easton gve me a full refund even after a year of use. I don't know about Stronglight.