HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:15 am 

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I've been looking for wheels for my bike. Every bike shop I head into wants to sell me their wheels not what will be best for me. I'm riding a 2010 S-works SL3 tarmac with Di2. I'm currently running 404 clinchers (non firebrand) and I'm looking for something more suited to climbing. I've been pushed toward dura ace and zipp 101's. I'm in the US, so I don't know if that affects recommendations.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:15 am 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:17 am 

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94406

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:55 pm 
Shop Owner

Low profile (20-25 mm) clincher wheels for 96 Kg can be pushing the limits a bit...Most alloy rims would need +28 spokes and still if you are a strongh rider could feel a bit of flex. Carbon are only good in tubular like the ENVE 25. How about some Reynolds 32's? But given that you already have 404 not sure if this is what you are looking for. Any target weight? Tune does have the TSR27 which are 1380 grams and aroun 22 mm with 28H. You could also talk to acouple of the wheel builder around here for a custom set.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:12 pm 
Shop Owner

Why don't you lace up some of the Stans Alpha 340 hoops to some Alchemy hubs? This would be a considerable amount lighter than the 101s and it would also give you the option to run tubeless. Going with a 28/32 hole count should provide enough rigidity for your weight as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:27 pm 

Have you had any problems with either your current or previous wheels? My son is about your size, rides responsibly, but has so much power, he's twisted a couple of rear wheels permanently out of true just by working too hard. He's ridden 32 spoke Record with Aeroheads for several years with minimal truing. For his new bike, I had a 36 hole Record rear that I got on a deal from my LBS and he's running it with Aeroheads. If you tend to break things, you'll need to be really careful with light wheels. You could probably switch to the Zipp 303, particularly if there's a Clydesdale version.

I'm about 83-85 kg, old as the hills, and have no problem with Aeroheads with White Industries hubs and 24/28 spokes. If I were a little heavier like you, I'd probably move up to 28/32. Double butted Wheelsmith spokes work fine and keep the weight down.

For us heavier guys, weight weenies is a bit of a problem since most of the light things, whether frames or wheels or other parts, really aren't made to stand up to our use. I've used Excellights with no problem but found any lighter rims than those or Aeroheads are just too fragile. Ran American Classic's light rims a few years ago and they only lasted a couple of years of occasional use. The hubs are still going strong after 8 years with Aeroheads though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:19 pm 

I'm 100kg - my picks on experience for actual rideable hill wheels for your size are:

LW Standard C's - 1100g
Fulcrum Zeros - 1425g
Enve 45's - 24/28 with DT240's - 1400g
Kinlin 27F/30R rims with decent spoke count and hubs
Pick your budget.

Currently using Mavic Ksyrium SLRs - run OK and look fantastic but the Fulcrum Zeros are lighter, have better hubs and are stiffer and cheaper.
With highest due respect for Zen's experience don't bother with the light Stan's rims or boutique hubs (although Alchemy hubs are great!) or low-spoked carbon rims under 45mm deep
Personally I have gravitated to the low profile alloy clinchers with decent stiff rims and away from the deep carbon wheels - better braking, no overheating, no cross-wind issues and - very subjectively - more agile steering when descending.

Have fun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:04 am 

I'm 200lbs, run a 28h xr-200 front rim to bikehubstore wide hub, radial lasers. Rear 28h xr-270 to bhs hub 2x lasers. Comes in a little under 1400, I believe it was 1380 grams somewhere thereabouts. Rear is pretty stiff, I'm happy with it. Front is stiff as nails and feathery light, love it. I play around with different rear wheels but the front always stays. Anyways, I'm in to the set for less than $300 and supports my weight just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:52 am 

Hi there,
first post here.
open to suggestions on a new set of wheels not that concern about budget,
just looking for a set of wheels that
will b ok for some racing,
big sportiffs
ie:scody 3 peak challenge.bupa etc
and as a everyday training wheel
im open to suggestions on any off the shelf or custom build
im in Newcastle NSW
so if anyone knows and can recommend a good wheel builder and some ideas that would also be a go.
I want to hear from other biggish riders.
at 84kg im on the limit of the magic number.
ive looked at fulcrum zero but they say 82 kg rider needs more attention to usage and servicing so expending that kind of money and getting lots of broken rims? not sure thats the best way
wheels seems expensive,
mavics?
hed?
campag?
please advise ive been riding for years but due to a change in job position i have the time now to try some riding and more training.
I have a set of reynolds attack and my old trusted all terrain training set of Easton circuit that have done an amazing 5 years without breaks of any hassels but a couple of minor changes on the freewheel,and bearings,but now its time to upgrade and retire the eastons.
what do you guys think?
thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:03 am 

Custom would be nice, something like White Industries hubs laced to one of the 23mm rim options (archetype, hed or pacenti) with DT Revolution/Sapim Laser if the wheel builder thinks it will work for your riding style or maybe DT Comp/Sapim Race.

Spoke count and type is worth discussing with the builder.

Maybe try TWE in Sydney (has good things said about him on other forums for the build), I'm sure some of the Sydney folks (I'm in Canberra) might have other suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:43 am 

I'm 85kg and just had a custom wheelset built for me using the following:

Pacenti SL23 rims
Alchemy ELF (front hub)
White Industries T11 (rear hub) - cheaper than Alchemy ORC UL (mainly for wife approval purposes)
Sapim CX-Rays 24 front and 28 rear

I think I was quoted 1455 grams for the wheelset.

You could save some weight on spoke count (maybe?), an ORC UL rear hub, or if it's just an event wheelset maybe Alpha 340 rims.

Mine were more for training purposes, so I wasn't trying to cut weight to an absolute minimum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:45 am 

Mavic Rsys wts
Neutron Ultra
Shimano c24 cl
Meilenstein clincher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:49 am 
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

Nick Both (wheelsbybosch.com)is worth tapping up - he's built me some wheels based on Royce hubs (which I was importing, but will probably stop soon) that are damn good. I've had a set of 40mm carbon tubs from him (Gigantex rim) and a set of H Plus Son TB14 clinchers. Neither of them budge under hard efforts, and I weigh the same as you.

He's based in Sydney (Chatswood), but I'm sure he could easily send a set of wheels your way.

If you don't go hand built, I'd suggest something running the Mavic Exalith rim - purely based on the performance of the braking.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:56 am 

Strada wheels (uk) get good feedback (although not used myself). They will spec a set of wheels to budget and ride type.

Have spoken to them and very helpful

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:48 am 

Hey mate , I am 100 kilo and could do with dropping another 5 kilo ... however I have Campag Eurus and have had SHAMAL's and Fulcrum 0,1,3 and custom built rims by TWE .
My personal experiances :
Shamal , best light weight
Fulcrum 0 , same as Shamal
TWE Custom made carbon clinchers
TWE Custom made alloy clinchers
Campag Eurus
Fulcrum 1
Fulcrum 3 which constantly came out f shape

Best rim that never needed truing and spun like fluid motion TWE in all forms. Greg Ryan is a GURU and best kept secret in Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:29 am 

Thanks guys
Great feedback so far I have a new ideas,
I'll try to get in touch with the bosch,
Which of the Mavics would you like best bike tart ?
My dad lives in Europe he's as old as the Pyrenees he rides at and he only rides mavic even tho he's like 17kg lighter.
Would you consider passing the Reynolds attack to everyday training and going for a nice upgrade?
I'm not sure about the carbon for everyday.i want a wheel i can use for everything,and complements or even improves my reynolds attack...
i had my eye on the fulcrum zero,
however like i said im very much clueless and looking for as much input as possible
whats ppl opinion on the fulcrum zero? how the rate on lightness,everyday usage? i also like the ardennes fr...look light and ive heard they pretty hard.

Also any feedback on the campag neutron?
mavics?

Cheers

Last edited by bigpab on Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:29 am 

Go to page 1, 2  Next