HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:20 pm 

I have a 2009 RAM red rear derailleur with a broken titanium spring. Seems a shame to toss the whole derailleur--I'd like to replace the spring. I'm sure some of you have successfully done this and can offer advice.

Questions:

1) Where did you source the spring (SRAM says not available through them)?
2) Did you replace with ti or steel?
3) How did you remove/replace the parallelogram pin(s)?

Any guidance would be most appreciated!

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:20 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:41 pm 

Not 100% sure, but for some reason I remember there is a thread were SRAM was replacing them. If you don't need it tomorrow you might try given them a call

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:06 am 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
I'm not vouching for the accuracy of this, but
A few LBS folks have advised me that a broken spring means a new derailleur. Totally non-serviceable as far as I can see.

For the want of a horse a kingdom was lost.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:29 am 

...Most shops will not be interested or willing to take-apart or tune a derailleur of any brand. Maybe FWB and similar shops would, but those are few and far between. Most shops want to sell you a new derailleur - and you can't blame them for that, but sales are their modus operandi, obviously.

The pins can be knocked out and in with a hammer and a rod of some sort. Obviously surfaces will be marred, and you will need to clamp the body securely somehow. Take a look at a few threads on 'tuning SRAM Red' here and across the internet, it has been done before and I believe I have seen documentation on the method.

As for the spring: you can possibly order the part directly from SRAM. Look at their technical documents, the spring has a part number. Call up SRAM (they'll answer the phone, very good customer service and super friendly folks), they might send you one if they have them available.

If they do not have the spring, it is possible to have someone out there in the ether make one for you. There are various persons and companies that make custom springs. At that point, however, it may be cheaper to just get a new derailleur. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:49 am 

Thanks to the replies so far.

Of note:

1) I *have* called SRAM tech support, and the person I spoke with said the spring is not really replaceable. I'll have to press him on "really."

2) SRAM tech docs do not show the spring as a separate item with a part number.

3) The parallelogram pins do not go all the way through the derailleur, so there is no obvious way to push them out. Drill out, perhaps, but that might damage the body enough to render the derailleur unusable. Of course, any type of attempt to replace the spring may render the derailleur unusable...but it is unusable now...so no worse off.

4) I'll look again through the threads on tuning. I saw ideas there, but not specific steps. Maybe I haven't looked far enough.

Keep more ideas coming!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:15 am 

Not fixable. Sram will replace it under warranty even if it is quite old. I got my new rd in about a week.

FYI Sram is replacing with Sram black edition.

Don't mess with it - just get a new one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:34 am 

Hmmm...I spoke with SRAM and they said no warranty replacement. Which is why I started this thread about replacing the spring myself.

I'm tempted to call them again. Did you talk with SRAM as a consumer or bike industry pro? Are there any key phrases I should use to persuade them to warranty this?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:44 am 

The pins are easy to get out if you can't get a warranty replacement, but it will leave a tiny drill hole. I used the thinnest drill in my set then just tapped them gently out. Push SRAM for a spring, at least.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:03 pm 

Theremy, thanks for the steps for pin removal. Have you noticed any slop developing in the derailleur after doing this?

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:03 pm