Colnago C59 - is it really that good?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

airwise

by airwise

c50jim wrote:Pritchet, try one. Compared to Cervelos I've owned, I'd rate my Colnagos as a bit slower handling but predictable as were the Cervelos, heavier but probably a little plusher ride (and my Cervelos were R3 and RS, not one of the S models).

I'd agree that they tend to be slower handling than the norm but not in the way that say a Specialized Roubaix or similar is.

I think if you look at the geo charts, the front centre is quite a bit longer for a given size of a Colnago than most modern bikes. If you hop on one straight after riding something like a Cannondale and head up a mountain, it feels a little like riding a chopper. This quality enhances the stability no question.

Bely

by Bely

I'll admit it I don't know anything about front center geometries etc... I have ridden (I only ride bikes I own) cervelo soloist models (not the r series), trek madones, pinarellos, cannondale caads and evos, etc.. And will continue to try out and have fun on the various brands out there, But I have never been quite as taken by all as I have been the colnago.
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pritchet74

by pritchet74

This discussion has compelled me to jump into the Colnago pool. I just bought a Colnago Extreme Power from the classifieds. The price was great, so if I works out then the C59 would be the next step. I am very anxious for the frameset to arrive.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

sawyer wrote:i

The 3T Ergosum handlebars have tons more reach then the ENVE compact bar thus the need to slam the saddle forward on the C59.
.[/quote]

Surprised by this for someone apparently with lots of cycling experience.

Saddle position in relation to BB (assuming constant crank length, pedals, shoes) should ALWAYS be determined primarily and then look at bar/stem set up. Get your saddle in the right position FIRST and then find the right reach through bar and stem choice.[/quote]

Yes.

Now, the bars are in, and installed. I'll go on a group ride tomorrow and all should be well. I'll make adjustments following but so far it feels a ton better from just setting it up.
carbonLORD.com

Vagabond

by Vagabond

It's interesting that people find the C59 slow handling. I've ridden a lot of different frames and I find mine to be very quick and nimble. I switched out rides with my buddy of similar proportions last summer up in the Rockies and he found my C59 to be twitchy. I found his top of the line Specialized to be like an oil tanker. I work on one coast and live on the other. I'm so smitten with mine I'm actually going to build up another one for the other coast although I really should try out a Parlee.
Colnago e Campagnolo

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

@Vagabond,

how is your stem/spacers setup ?
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

carbonLORD wrote:
Calnago wrote:In the example, it seemed that the bars are forcing the rider to sit much further forward than he'd like to be. And that's not right. Get the seated position right first, then set the bars appropriately.

Excited to say, found a great deal on the Ergonova Stealth and will be following up shortly.

Guess I have a 42cm Ergosum LTD for sale now.... Off to the For Sale Forum.

Thanks Calnago. Also, did you see my post re: cutting seat post on the C59? (I may just chop up a 3T post instead)

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116951

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers,

cL

I missed your query about cutting a Colnago seatpost. Can't see any problems at all with cutting some of the excess off if you're so inclined. Colnago's minimum insertion line leaves about 9cm of seatpost in the seat tube, which pretty much extends the full length of the seat cluster lug. If I was to cut mine, I'd probably cut it so that at least 12cm was still in the seat tube. I haven't bothered but I've thought about it. I doubt that cutting it would change the ride characteristics in any way. That area of the frame is very stiff and the only benefit of cutting it would be to save a few grams. lol I know... I know... I can hear the chorus... Cut it! Cut it!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Hello Salsa Lover. I'm 6'1" and ride a 60 cm traditional. I'm currently riding a 110 3T ARX - Team which is set at the lower of the two angles with 3T Ergosum alloy bars. I have the Colnago cone shaped spacer below the stem along with a King 1 cm spacer above that. And there's a King 1 cm spacer above as well. This provides me with plenty of drop for now. I've only recently gotten back into cycling and find that with each passing year and more miles in the legs I'm lowering my stem height. I suppose I'll eventually just have the colnago cone washer below and a small spacer above before too much longer.
Colnago e Campagnolo

kbbpll

by kbbpll

airwise wrote:I suspect anyone who rides a 61cm frame finds climbing a painful experience regardless of manufacturer or material.

I found this comment intriguing so I'll ask why you said this. Is it the presumption that a larger frame goes with a heavier person, or is there something about bigger frames that leads to a different experience climbing, or possibly something else? For reference I'm 6'4.5" (~195cm), 140 pounds (63.5kg), and ride a 65cm Master.

I've been drooling over C59 but need to find a way to make money disappear without my wife finding out. :wink: Very interesting thread, thanks everyone.

airwise

by airwise

I am guilty of assuming larger riders carry a fair amount of heft.

I've not seen many riders of your build. I'm 174 cm and 66kg. Most people think I look way to skinny to be healthy.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think Airwise's assumption was just that, that larger riders are generally heavier. And I think in the real world outside of the pro peleton that's generally a fair assumption. So at 6'4" and only 140lbs you are definitely on the lighter side of "average" for that height. And I'm heavier than where I'd ideally like to be as a cyclist for my height. But don't you dare try to take away my hagendaaaz. :). See you at the sprint line.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kbbpll

by kbbpll

OK, thanks for clarifying. I really appreciate the C59's variety of frame sizes, which brings me back on topic. :)

poppiholla

by poppiholla

In test in German Tour Magazine (August 2013) of a few Italian bikes the Colnago C59 was rated very very good with fine handling and so on. The only negative thing was the torsional head tube stiffness. Tour Magazine rated it at 63Nm and this number is below average and probably heavier riders will notice it at quick and fast turns/cornering (during a descent). A Tarmac Sl4, cannondale SuperSix Evo or Cervelo R5 have a Head tube stiffness that rated more then 100Nm. The bottom bracket stiffness of the C59 was very good. . Is the C59 suitable for heavier riders or should they prefer the M10? Is the Tour Magazine frame test a good test? What is your opinion about it
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

airwise

by airwise

Ive owned a Tarmac, a Supersix and the C59. There is no comparison in terms of comfort and ride quality. The Colnago would win every time. The Cannondale would place second.

I've not found that I was any quicker on either of the American machines. Excessive headtube stiffness can lead to a very uncompromising and unpleasant ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poppiholla

by poppiholla

So I can buy and ride a C59 with my 210l without anu problems? Is a M10 stiffer then a C59?
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands