My prototype saddle bag (15g)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jordo99

by jordo99

totoboa wrote:My Gawd man !! Is that a teaspoon in there ???? :D

Nope, it's a stainless steel tire lever...I just moved everything from my "commuter" bag (they weight probably 50g each) to this for the picture to show how much can fit into it...after snapping all my plastic levers (4) putting on new tires this summer I decided to order something stronger. Ironic part is that while I was waiting for them to ship I was able to get said tires onto the rim with just my hands.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gsgrossart

by gsgrossart

Great idea and very nice work (I also like your backpacks).

I'll second the request to make the saddle bag long enough to put a mini pump in there. Most of the mini pumps are pretty close to the same size (I currently use a blackburn airstik sl). I prefer a pump to a CO2 cartridge since it can pump a lot of tubes and doesn't go bad. It certainly makes the pack more complicated (and heavier), but it would be nice to have a little "slot" or internal sleeve to put a mini pump and the tire levers in to keep them in place.

I'm looking forward to seeing where your project (and prendrefeu's) go in the future!

basilic

by basilic

my 2 cents: make a small bag that holds 1 tube, patch kit, multitool, levers. Why carry a 2nd tube? the patch kit will bail you out if you puncture twice.
Also, how about a built-in separation between the tube and the tools? I have once managed to damage the spare tube with the tools, only realizing that when the tube was needed.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

@basilic

Two tubes (and the rest) is for people who do long, long miles... and commuters. It is primarily designed with input from people who do ultra-type events. Sometimes the punctures come all at once. Sometimes one tube is not enough (I've had two situations where I was commuting on a road that, unknown to me until it was too late, was a total disaster for tires. In one of those two instances, not only were both front and rear flat, each wheel carried at least 8 different punctures. No patch kit would have managed that, but two tubes? Done and on my way.)

The 'separation' is built into my concepts. ;)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Devon

by Devon

Does your jersey not have any pockets? :unbelievable:

bontyboy

by bontyboy

This is a really well thought out project :)
I would be real interested in one of these!
I too would be pleased with a tube, tool and smartphone in it.

jordo99

by jordo99

I'm realizing that I'm going to need my sewing machine to properly finish up the "minibag" but I've got it mostly done now.

Also, I tried mounting my bag in the first post to only the saddle rails and it worked out reasonably well with all the same gear as before (tube, multitool, psi gauge, 3 levers and patch kit):

http://i.imgur.com/1vd9GdS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qfD6rVl.jpg

Just further enforces (for me) that rolled ends and straps is the way to go for a wildly functional bag...just takes a little ingenuity to mount figure out how to mount it...also realised that this bag can be mounted to the frame tubes as well (specifically to the head tube) which could be a useful way to store gear but still have a access to an external pocket while riding (though, a jersey pocket would be a better choice for most stuff like that)

As for minipumps...would having a "pocket" and a velcro loop to secure it in place be sufficient?

Lastly, here's the patch/boot that I "made"...can be cut with regular scissors to the size prefered prior to riding:
http://i.imgur.com/xnHslGy.jpg

basilic wrote:my 2 cents: make a small bag that holds 1 tube, patch kit, multitool, levers. Why carry a 2nd tube? the patch kit will bail you out if you puncture twice.
Also, how about a built-in separation between the tube and the tools? I have once managed to damage the spare tube with the tools, only realizing that when the tube was needed.

I have to agree with you...when I get a flat and replace the tube I immediately patch the puncture before I put it away just to be safe...I have had a time where I punctured both tubes at once but I also knew that road was terrible and bought a 2nd tube.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

are wrote:Personally, I'd like a clever strap design that kept the seatbag back on the rails.

Arundel Dual... the Uno is smaller, and the Tubi larger.

formerly rruff...

gsgrossart

by gsgrossart

Minipump - I would say a "pocket"/sleeve is all that is necessary. No velcro needed. I would think everything would be held in place pretty tightly with the tube, tool, etc.

Keep it as simple as possible....other than the complication of my requested sleeve for minipump and another sleeve for tire levers :)

jordo99

by jordo99

For a minipump I was thinking that it'd be better to just have 1/2 of it sticking out so that the bag can retain a small, tight size...maybe that wouldn't be agreed upon by others though...though, my prefered alternative is to mount it between the seat tube and bottle cage.

edesigner

by edesigner

sedluk wrote:Great weight weenie project

Thinking Kickstarter might be a good place for this.

I helped my friend's Growler company get going with a video. Funding goal of 30K but :D 230K in 30 days!

Figure what you can get these made for and set a modest goal. There was this guy with the wallet version of what you are doing and he did awesome.

jordo99

by jordo99

edesigner wrote:
sedluk wrote:Great weight weenie project

Thinking Kickstarter might be a good place for this.

I helped my friend's Growler company get going with a video. Funding goal of 30K but :D 230K in 30 days!

Figure what you can get these made for and set a modest goal. There was this guy with the wallet version of what you are doing and he did awesome.

Honestly, I started thinking about this last summer and again, much more seriously, about 3 months ago. I realized that there really aren't many sources for cuben cycling gear and that I had to make my own if I wanted a 100g touring bag. That's the goal now...being completely honest and open about my thoughts on it:

I think that the marketability of my design and materials would make it a hard sell...WWs would definitely be the target demographic but I'm not sure it expands much past that. Most riders will probably dismiss the design based on not having a zipper alone (though I'd probably include a waterproof zipper pocket large enough for a cell phone). Also, having rolled ends is something that most people aren't going to like as well...makes the design MUCH easier to make as well as far more versitile but puts more effort on the consumer to actually put it into use. The UL backpacking community is still reluctant at times to accept cuben as a viable material and it's been used there for close to 5 years.

...I guess my point is, I believe that I can make this into a very versitile and useful design but in the process it would reduce the market demographic to nearly nothing. If my final version does well on here then I'd definitely consider it.

prendrefeu seems to have already come to a similar conclusion and has been working on a design that is both very light and marketable...I think we're after very similar goals but the difference is that he's actually trying to make his appealing and I'm just looking for barebones and function at all costs.