Help! Crank arm stripped

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

phourgenres

by phourgenres

I was trying to take my crankset (quarqSRAM s975) off today to clean the spindle, and the two threaded nuts (that have the hex openings) came right out instead of loosening the crankset. The threading on them still looks intact. I've owned a couple of SRAM cranksets and never had anything like this happen before. I'm really freaking out, given how much this crankset cost me. Any thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

If they are like other self-extracting cranks, you can screw the fixing bolt back in and then screw the outer stopper thing back in. It must not have been tight enough and it unscrewed as the fixing bolt turned against it. I think the torque spec for it is printed on it. If not you can look it up on line, or ask Quarq.

theremery

by theremery

yep....it's just had a cap failure or come undone......no stress. Use an old-school crank extractor and take it off normal old-school style.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I've broken this bolt on a Quarq once by overtorquing. I was able to get the broken piece out. The good news is that the bolt set is a cheap readily available replacement part from SRAM.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

theremery

by theremery

BTW, if you are sure the thread is good, clean all the threads (including inside the crank arm) nicely and regrease the bolt threads and inner diameter of the bottom bracket do not grease the cap threads that screw the cap into the crank arm (keep that dead clean) and keep the threads inside the crank arm where the cap seats into it dead clean too.......reseat the tensioning bolt that hold the arm onto the spindle and do it up ....torque to stated spec (see instruction sheet, or look it up online....use a torquewrench) then GREASE THE HEAD OF THE BOLT but dont get any on the threads where the cap screws into. Grease the inside of the cap lightly (but again, avoid the threads). Put 1 drop of LOW STRENGTH <--NOTE!! locktite on the threads and swipe it around the threads with your finger. Install and do this up firmly. Job done.
This will allow the cap to be extracted later if you need to, but will keep the cap in place next time you remove your crank.
REPEAT: USE A TORQUE WRENCH!! (not got one??.....go buy one....you'll have a version of supercheap autospares in your hometown.....go find!!)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

phourgenres

by phourgenres

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Especially the thorough response, theremery. Got it out today!

goodboyr

by goodboyr

When I ordered the new bolt set from SRAM it came with threadlock already on the outer bolt.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com