Starting in 2014, UCI events will limit wheel depth to 65mm

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

airwise

by airwise

Waldo wrote:The UCI's contention was that they had received feedback via their riders' commission that some riders were concerned about the effects of some deeper wheels on windy races or when tightly grouped and relying on someone to hold their line.

Well I never :wink:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Cool on the new Reynolds blue, the current ones are already fantastic, can't wait!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Waldo wrote:The UCI's contention was that they had received feedback via their riders' commission that some riders were concerned about the effects of some deeper wheels on windy races or when tightly grouped and relying on someone to hold their line.

What would the odds be of cross referencing those with concerns coming from riders who either already have issues controlling their bikes (ie: Euskaltel) or those who struggle to match the lead out trains/speeds guys like Cav (who would run deeper wheels) could employ.

A bad bike handler is the same on 40mm wheels as he is on 80mm. That technology has improved for deeper wheels nowithstanding.

Have to wonder what will happen when they find the same riders crash with <65mm wheels on. In fact, I shudder to think what might occur...

Either way, I'd say

Waldo wrote:The UCI's contention

is the optimal part of the phrase here. There's heaps of evidence to the contrary (as Waldo attests), yet "unnamed riders are concerned" is the easiest 'get out of jail' justification.

Yep, the UCI truly do have our backs in regards to safety.

spartan wrote:for 2014. reynolds new power blue pads braking are rumored to equal/exceed aluminum rim pads.

Indeed :thumbup:

Rob1519

by Rob1519

elviento wrote:Reynolds use 66mm. Wonder what the rationale was behind the magic number of 65.

Reynolds announced that the 2014 Strike (currently 66mm) will be 62mm deep.

airwise

by airwise

Tinea Pedis wrote:
Waldo wrote:is the optimal part of the phrase here. There's heaps of evidence to the contrary (as Waldo attests), yet "unnamed riders are concerned" is the easiest 'get out of jail' justification.

Ah. Must be a conspiracy :wink:

In all seriousness, looking at those huge Reynolds pads, I can almost hear the sound of wet grit doing $thousands worth of damage at the local sportive next year. Just in time for discs anyway, which will remove the issue provided the UCI insist on universal adoption - something unlikely to happen in the next five years IMHO.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That's right. The UCI, who have zero recent history of looking after riders health, are starting now - with wheel depth.

Like I said, so relieved they have our backs...

ultyguy

by ultyguy

UCI- let's just make it up as we go along

Sack Pat

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Any bets on whether ENVE is going to make teh 6.7 into 6. 6.5's :D ......

or are they going to make a 5.6?

Did I just buy an outdated wheel that is so new that I haven't even ridden them yet?

:D :D :roll:

airwise

by airwise

Tinea Pedis wrote:That's right. The UCI, who have zero recent history of looking after riders health, are starting now - with wheel depth.

No they started with helmets and biological passports.

Potentially dangerous wheels are the next obvious target.

Good to see they are consulting the actual riders at risk too. There's far too much of a commercial interest for the manufacturers to be the sole arbiter of what's good or not.

commfire

by commfire

Any news on this? It may impact my next wheel purchase.

nagge

by nagge

commfire wrote:Any news on this? It may impact my next wheel purchase.

I wonder the same thing?
SuperSix EVO III Ultegra 8070

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I spoke with Simon Gerrans two weeks ago, he's not heard anything about this either (but did admit the change would not really effect him anyway, given he doesn't choose wheels that deep).

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

carbon2329 wrote:Any bets on whether ENVE is going to make teh 6.7 into 6. 6.5's :D ......

or are they going to make a 5.6?

Did I just buy an outdated wheel that is so new that I haven't even ridden them yet?

:D :D :roll:

Ha chuckled a bit on this one. But if this is true I'm interested to see how this will affect the 6.7s. Maybe depth restrictions will only be applied to front wheels or if there could be exceptions for individual TTs.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

UCI approved wheels list released on the 14th, no mention of the supposed rim height ban...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk