Kalloy Uno Ultralight.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickf

by nickf

No broken bolts here. One on the mtb and 2 others seeing road duty. One has Ti bolts swapped out from a williams cycling stem for well over 2 years now. I use a torque key on all the bolts. Could be a manufacturing issue? Maybe them the slot in the stem is to shallow and is binding the bolt causing stress?

stevec1975

by stevec1975

mrlobber wrote:Anyone ever mounted an out-front Garmin mount on an Uno stem (Tillquist, Fetha etc)? If yes, could you confirm, what's the distance between the faceplate bolts - 24 or 25mm?

I am looking at this as well, so this mount http://edge-mount.bike/?product=mount-24 should work right, anyone got this installed?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikergrove

by bikergrove

Has anyone found a equally similar handlebar and seat-post to match the stem ( in terms of colour / weight and price)

A tall order i know, but surely it can be done? I'm quite a fan of the red although I know some despise it.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

as an FYI, my 100mm -17 Degree version, debadged and with Black Ti Bolts came in at 102.4 grams

SL1

by SL1

Kayrehn wrote:Two issues that I'm seeking opinions for -

1) I broke 3 titanium bolts and 1 of the original alloy bolt at the steerer side of the stem. First ti bolt was from eBay so I thought maybe it's shit to begin with, but the 2 subsequent ones were from Torontocycles. And then a steel one! 5nm torque with anti-seize grease, same torque wrench used with all my other parts including the faceplate bolts with no problem.

2) Since I had steel bolts to spare, I carried on with fitting the stem at the steerer. Managed to get them up to 5nm but the top bolt was tight 'earlier' than the lower bolt; the lower bolt protruded out from the other end about 1mm more in the end. Tightened them by alternatively doing top and bottom every quarter turn.

Thanks for any insights offered!

Are you tightening the top bolts down first as per the instruction manual and also aligning the little grooves on the faceplates with the grooves on the stem ?

RyanH

by RyanH

Kayrehn wrote:Two issues that I'm seeking opinions for -

1) I broke 3 titanium bolts and 1 of the original alloy bolt at the steerer side of the stem. First ti bolt was from eBay so I thought maybe it's shit to begin with, but the 2 subsequent ones were from Torontocycles. And then a steel one! 5nm torque with anti-seize grease, same torque wrench used with all my other parts including the faceplate bolts with no problem.

2) Since I had steel bolts to spare, I carried on with fitting the stem at the steerer. Managed to get them up to 5nm but the top bolt was tight 'earlier' than the lower bolt; the lower bolt protruded out from the other end about 1mm more in the end. Tightened them by alternatively doing top and bottom every quarter turn.

Thanks for any insights offered!

On Toronto's website, they mention that torque specs change greased vs non-greased. Most torque specs are non-greased, so it's possible you're exceeding the specs (and your wrench may be miscalibrated). Try 4nm and see if you get any slipping?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Yes I kind of suspect that might be because of the grease, however I've ran out of ti bolts to try ha. @SL it only happens on the steerer volts not the faceplate ones. It says 5-7nm so I was surprised trying to reach 5nm will make them break. Anyway, anyone noticed your lower bolt going further in than the top one like mine?

sib

by sib

Kayrehn wrote:Anyway, anyone noticed your lower bolt going further in than the top one like mine?

Is the expander plug covering the section where the lower bolt goes in?
You might try attaching the stem upside down to see if it's a stem problem or something else.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I'm using a Schmolke plug, and it probably doesn't extend to the lower bolt. Great deduction Sir, many thanks for that. I think I'll ease up on the lower bolt a bit to make it look a bit more comfortable.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I'm using a Schmolke Plug too but as I'm using a steerer shim I wouldn't get the same distortion.

jeffy

by jeffy

are these good for carbon bars?

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

I just took the 2 bolts off my stem and I noticed they are necking/scretched out. FYI, I always torqued them down to 54 in lbs or 6.1 nm. Pretty scary but at least they didn't snap.

Obviously the bolts need to be replaced, but does anyone know if the integrity of the stem is comprised? I'll get a picture up for reference later.

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

Here's a picture. Bottom one is worse.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I assume these are the stock steel bolts? That's pretty scary. I use Ti bolts and tighten them to 5nm. I've found that 4nm is too loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

pdlpsher1 wrote:I assume these are the stock steel bolts? That's pretty scary. I use Ti bolts and tighten them to 5nm. I've found that 4nm is too loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, stock bolts. FYI, no grease or anti seize was used.

I'm thinking of getting Ti bolts but I believe steel has a higher tendency to scretch out versus Ti, which would most likely just snap?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com