Campagnolo Athena 11 - Creaky Chainring?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Lewis wrote:@ stella-azzurra - I bought a tool to keep those in place whilst tightening the bolts. Also they are torqued to 8NM as recommended by Campag.

I cleaned the bike properly before a long ride sunday and couldn't see any other areas that would cause a creak. It's definitely coming from the crank area and is the same noise as before. Can't think what else it would be. Pedals are tight, no movement in the cranks from left to right (so not loose), no frame cracks that I can see....

I assume you checked the bottom bracket. How about the cleats on your shoes. Those can creak as well when they wear out.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

maxxevv

by maxxevv

If its really the chainring bolts, use anti-seize copper grease. Not on the threads, but on the interface that surrounds the bolts. The surfaces it contacts with the rings, the chainrings contact surfaces with the crank arms.

It will eliminate the sound. I had that issue a long time ago on some low end cranksets that didn't have the best tolerances. Irritated the hell out of me, did the above, and the creaking was done with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewis

by Lewis

maxxevv wrote:If its really the chainring bolts, use anti-seize copper grease. Not on the threads, but on the interface that surrounds the bolts. The surfaces it contacts with the rings, the chainrings contact surfaces with the crank arms.

It will eliminate the sound. I had that issue a long time ago on some low end cranksets that didn't have the best tolerances. Irritated the hell out of me, did the above, and the creaking was done with.

I guess an upgrade to record would make it go away! :P Saying that, Athena isn't really budget so it shouldn't creak at all! :x

I think your point regarding the contact surfaces is a good one. I may dissaemble it all, get new bolts then do what you suggested.

Stella - I have check the pedals and they seem OK. The noise is the same type of 'fragile sounding crack' that I had previously when the CR bolts had worked loose, which is why I am certain it's the same issue. It's a very recognizable high pitched cricking sound lijke a paper clip hitting on a frame for example.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I did not say to check the pedals I said the cleats on your shoes could be worn out causing a creaking noise.

Also be sure the crank arm is not hitting your front derailleur as it passes when in the big chain ring.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Lewis

by Lewis

stella-azzurra wrote:I did not say to check the pedals I said the cleats on your shoes could be worn out causing a creaking noise.

Also be sure the crank arm is not hitting your front derailleur as it passes when in the big chain ring.

Ok will do, thanks for your advice once again :thumbup:
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0