Campagnolo Compact/Mid-Compact Question......

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Unbrokenchain

by Unbrokenchain

...Want to switch out my 50t to 52t on my compact crank and thus run at 52/34 with an 11-25 in rear. Everything I have read said it is compatible and should work. Any reasons it shouldn't?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I am guessing your FD, for which you do not state manufacturer/model, has a stated capacity of 16 teeth, which you would exceed by running a 52/34. Maybe it will still work, but you will be violating the stated capacity. In any event, your shifting could potentially suffer with the 18 tooth chainring difference.

TiG

by TiG

I think you're getting slightly confused... 50/34 and 52/36 both have a tooth difference of 16 however 52/34 has an 18 tooth difference...Campagnolo state a maximum capacity of 16 teeth between chain rings for SR.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

2012 SR FD does indeed have a stated capacity of 16. And, as TiG has stated, a 52/34 has a tooth difference of 18, which exceeds the FD stated capacity of 16, so indeed you would be in the situation described in my post above.

Unbrokenchain

by Unbrokenchain

Thank you all for resolving my ignorance.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

It can work BUT... a very big caveat there; is that you have to be extra careful when you shift between the 2 chainrings. Its more likely to drop off and it will be quite difficult to shift up, meaning takes quite an effort to shift to the bigger ring. Think some years back Vinokourov had something along the lines of a 36/53 or a 34/52 during a race.

Not advisable though.

Its better you swap for a 36/52 and a 11/28 cogset and a slightly longer chain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com