American Classic Sprint 350 vs 420 Aero 3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

I'm after a set of race/chaingang wheels, low/medium profile (<35mm) at around 1500g. I really like the American Classic wheels and the two logical choices from AC for my riding are the Sprint 350 and the 420 Aero 3. There is some weight difference and a fairly substantial difference in profile, so I was wondering which would be the better choice for me.

Usage will be mid-distance road racing, where I tend to concerntrate on climbing and high speed flat sections and break aways. My weaker areas are cornering and descending and I'm average when it comes to sprinting. Weight 75-78kg.

The 420s have a glowing review from BikeRadar. The Sprint 350 seem to cater more for climbers, but I'm worried they won't be as suitable as an all-round wheel.

Any ideas/suggestions/alternatives?

HillRPete

by HillRPete

The AC rim designs are showing their age, there's a number of modern alternatives now (cf Fairwheelbikes Rim Roundup). I had the 420 and liked it, but in this day and age I'd look elsewhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

Any recommendations for my riding style/use? Ideally keeping a lower profile (around 35mm)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Really depends how much you want to spend. The SL23 and the Archetype are getting lots of love here, if you like counting grams the XR-19W is interesting, but you are not a real flyweight either. Have not ridden any apart from the Open Pro myself. HED C2 are primarily available as complete wheels, but no steal either.

Devon

by Devon

Thanks. I'm as light as healthily possible at 6'6"! Not after anything over-the-top in terms of WW, but something around the 1500g range would be nice!

I will look into those you have suggested, thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Pacenti SL23 & Archetypes are easily 1500g, Kinlin XC-280 might *just* be under 1500g with the right rim/spoke combo...
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)