HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:15 pm 

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with the 2013 Vittoria lineup which feature the IsoGrip compounds? I'm a crit racer, about 88 kg and was debating between the Open Corsa SR which are a claimed 24mm vs the new Open Corsa CX, in 25mm. Does anyone have actual weights, widths, or opinions of these tires? They'd be used for race day only, as my Veloflex Corsa 23's are toast after 7 months of hard training and racing. I'm essentially looking for a tire with high grip and less weight, with a small sacrifice in puncture resistance. I'm also open to reviews of the Open Corsa SC 25mm.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:33 pm 

Yes I have the SR 24c on the front and the Corsa CX 25c on the back. Both are ISO.

Both tyres weigh near enough the same because the smaller SR is made of a slightly thicker rubber. It is noticeable stiffer when mounting the rim.
The Vittoria website lists the SR as a better full wet tyre than the CX and should in theory last a bit longer.The CX blows up big more like 26mm.

I've got a copy of a French magazine that measures rolling resistance on the Hutchinson rolling road. The best tyre of the 18 in the group test was the Corsa CX 25c. Better than the 23c version and better than the Continental GP4000s in 23 or 25c. (there is a new MkII version of the 4000s not as yet tested)

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:33 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:44 pm 

I always much preferred the slick version, which used to be the KS, and I gather now is the SL.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 pm 

SR tubular has deep treads on the sides that catch and keep a lot of flint and small debris. Very prone to flats. While I like the 24mm width, they are not particularly confidence inspriring in the wet.
I will not buy them again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:33 pm 

I have been using OpenCorsa CX in 25c and Open Paves consistently on all my rides over many years, and I just purchased a set of the SRs which I plan on mounting and riding in the next few days...I will post my reflections shortly. As for weight, the SR in 24c weighed in at 225 grams, the exact same weight as the Corsa CX 25c.
EM3

My 2013 Cervelo R5